Turret height

Discussion in 'Construction' started by wfirebaugh, Aug 3, 2020.

1. wfirebaugh

wfirebaugh Well-Known Member

When building a turret armed or not do most builders build to stock height or add a quarter of a inch to make sure things fit inside? This might be a odd question but looking at a set of plans for the IJN Nagato it made me wonder as they are not very tall would it have issues later.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  2. Commodore

Commodore Well-Known Member

Nagato turrets are plenty tall enough. Don't worry about it.

3. wfirebaugh

wfirebaugh Well-Known Member

I am in the process of scaling and building the plan sheets for this ship and the turrets are less then a inch tall.

4. Anvil_x

Anvil_x Well-Known Member

You can get more room if you resin cast them. American Standards have short turrets too.
    the sides and glacis of my turrets are thick enough to decisively stop any direct hit, but the roof of the turret is about 1/32" thick. before I applied paint it was almost transluscent.
    Hardened up to be pretty darn strong.
    IMG_20200217_150705.jpg

You can see the light shining through the roof of the turret in this pic:

IMG_20200223_153024.jpg

the face of the New Meowxico's gun turret is a tad over 1/2 and the back is a tad under 3/4" and I manage rather readily to fit cannons under them. Note the bottom 1/8 of the turret's height is bolted to the deck.

just try some stuff and see what works with regard to mounting the cannon in the barbette. Notice my barbettes are laminated, and the cannon neck goes through a 15 degree angled drill hole. note that it is recessed about 1/4 into the barbette.
    these are good ideas. solid, bullet-proof mounts. they require a certain build of cannon, but having a cannon which is easily disassembled is always good.

Caractacus Patt and wfirebaugh like this.