Turret Questions..

Discussion in 'Construction' started by sarges_heroes2003, Sep 18, 2008.

1. sarges_heroes2003

sarges_heroes2003 Member

Hey all,
    I need to know what material is the best for the turrets. I am buying my first cruiser and wanted to get turrets and other stuff all in one go but I don't know what is the best.

How has fiber glass turrets held up? Resin? "Termite armor" turrets? what about 5-ply balsa wood?

Halp!! I don't know what to get!![8D]

2. Powder Monkey

Powder Monkey Active Member

What ship?

3. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

They all do pretty well (except balsa) is the short answer :)

4. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

I've used PVC electrical fittings for years. They get blown away at least once a year. This weekend i found out they have ABS plumbing fittings that are more bb proof. Go to Home Depot or Lowes and find the black plastic fittings.

5. sarges_heroes2003

sarges_heroes2003 Member

DKM Graff Spee, from Ralf Coles. He has fiberglass turrets and BC has the other two types. I was just wondering what was the toughest stuff before I buy. thanks.

6. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

Turrets! Doh! I thought you were asking about barbets.
    The Fiberglass turrets I got from Ralf for the Warspite slowly chipped away and had to have epoxy filler added to them. After a while There were pretty much toast.
    The Plastic turrets I got from BC for the Washington, so far, have held up with only one crack where one of the fake gun barrels went in.
    The Termite armor ones BC sells, I have been told, will never get bb damage.
    The ABS turrets I made for The Bike have held up without breaking.
    Get the termite ones they seam to be the best.

7. sarges_heroes2003

sarges_heroes2003 Member

Hrrrm, The Termite ones seem to be the most expencive too! ohh well get what u pay for I guess. Now there will be to Graff Spee's at the next fall fray! :)

8. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

it usually is that the expensive products are more reliable. You could make a thousand paper-turrents, but they would have to be replaced all of the time. Termite armor is pretty bullet proof from what i heard, go with that.

9. sarges_heroes2003

sarges_heroes2003 Member

Termite mains it is then. at least Ill save on shipping by getting my props stuff all at the same time.

10. boater26

boater26 Member

do they make costum turrets or you are limited to what they have

11. sarges_heroes2003

sarges_heroes2003 Member

We limited to whats in stock. :)

12. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

usually, but maybe you can kahoodle them into special orders, as long as you can convince them its worth their time.

13. B24

B24 Member

The IOWA has metal turrets. They sound neat when hit and leave a little dent (real little). The MARYLAND has used a variety of materials from balsa to plywood. The plywood holds up much better. Part of the fun is rebuilding so making a new turret every couple years happens. It's really no big deal. No matter how hard you try turrets get shot off. Some become part of the lake while others are found and remounted sometimes in pieces. I've seen resin used (epoxy). They hold up pretty good but eventually need to be replace. I don't worry about things that maybe lost in battle. Well that's not true. I do worry about the 4 sailors on the MD now. They have been on there since the 80's when a gentleman from Australia gave me them. But very few AXIS have guns that shoot upper superstructure.

Danny

14. CPT. Jr

CPT. Jr Member

what is the thikness of most of the pre manufacured turret?

15. Bryan

Bryan Member

A poor mans way to save your jel-coated fiberglass
    parts it to take Rubber cement and paint it
    over your turret or other part then use regular
    paint to cover that, 2 coats rubber cement is
    best (or more) will cover some small details though.

Bryan

16. Tugboat

Fiberglass ones, about 1/16" to 1/8". The white plastic resin ones from BC about 1/4", and Termite armor ones a little thicker in places. I love the white plastic ones, but I am also still using the original 'glass turrets on my old I-boat. When Brian makes the new I-boat turrets in white stuff, I'm probably going to switch, as they'll have way more detail.

17. Mark

Mark Active Member

Tug, the guy I bought the molds off of used "short strand bondo" to make his. not sure if this is a good choice, his ship is not a combat ship and therefore not designed to take hits. will this material be suitable fore our application, or should I look into different material?

18. Tugboat

I'd look at something else... I use urethane resin in mine, and it's pretty easy to work with, reasonably cheap, and takes hits very well (Brian's Vanguard is still using the original set, and they're from back when we were learning how to cast it, with ugly molds)... So I like it. Pretty much mix and pour, and it's ready to demold in 20-30 minutes for big turrets, reaching full hardness in a day or so.