Tutorials for 3D Ship Design

Discussion in 'Digital Design and Fabrication' started by GeekSpeed, Nov 9, 2023.

1. GeekSpeed

GeekSpeed Active Member

Hi all.

I have a 3D printer and have done some basic (very basic) modelling of super structure parts for a couple of ships. I have also noticed that there are a bunch of people now 3D printing entire ship hulls. That is something I would really like to try and was wondering if there are any good tutorials on how to model a ship for our hobby. Ultimately I would want to try something smaller and simpler (DD, maybe) but would like to eventually model and construct larger ships like BBs and BCs. What are our best resources for learning this kind of thing?

Thanks!

notSoGnarly likes this.
  2. notSoGnarly

notSoGnarly Well-Known Member

GeekSpeed likes this.
  3. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

Generally, smaller is not simpler. Small boats 3D printed just like small boats made out of fiberglass have their own unique design challenges. You can run a simple hull shape, something like an invincible or WW2 cruiser, and not run into all of the weight constraints and whatnot.

My old video on how to do superstructure is a decent guide to get your feet wet with fusion 360. From there, the best guide in my opinion is "screw around and find out". It worked for me haha.