Basic Fusion360 Tutorial for Model Warship Superstructure

Discussion in 'Digital Design and Fabrication' started by bsgkid117, Mar 10, 2020.

1. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

I wanted to make a video to show my workflow and how I design parts for my ships. Someone had asked me previously to do this and I figured, what the heck. Here is a 40~ minute long, poorly edited video that you can follow along with to design your own turrets in Fusion 360 using nothing but the original 2 dimensional ship plans.

I'm sure the actual engineers will be crying in the background as I do things wrong, but this works for me.

I'd love any feedback, and feel free to ask plenty of questions if you need any sort of clarification.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
  2. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Nice job, Will! A solid resource for the hobby. Learned some things too.

Jack Webster and bsgkid117 like this.
  3. rcaircraftnut

rcaircraftnut Well-Known Member

Thank you brother!

bsgkid117 likes this.
  4. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

Thanks guys. Using the basic principles I outline in that video you can model pretty much anything for our hobby and making things more detailed than that basic turret shape is just applying the same concepts over and over on smaller objects.

Here is that same exact gun turret with another 5 minutes spent on three more sketches and extrusion operations. Jean Bart's 6-in secondary guns were modified in 1947 to be high angle mounts so I wanted to have that very noticeable high angle cut out in the turret roof and face and I also wanted to add little blocks at the end of the range finder for the shields for the optics.

But you can see how those cutouts were just very simple sketches applied to the top and front face of the turret extruded into the turret as a cut operation by 2 mm and that was it.

unknown-3.png

If anyone has any questions regarding an operation in fusion 360 that they can't figure out feel free to ask and I can do my best to assist you. I'm not an engineer. I have no formal training on how to do any of this. One day I decided I wanted to figure out how to do this to build my big baguette and I sat down at the computer and just started messing around. If I can figure it out believe me when I say that you definitely can too.

unknown-8.png

unknown-6.png

unknown-4.png

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
  5. Commodore

Commodore Well-Known Member

I must say, that's one fine looking secondary turret... :)

6. Litch42f

Litch42f Well-Known Member

I remember there was reference to this site for downloading the model files: https://gamemodels3d.com/games/worldofwarships/

I’m guessing to get the files you have to create an account (pay the $5) and then I’ll be able to download the .stl file? Just want to make sure this is the path before getting too deep into it.

7. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

I wouldn't download those files personally. They are not suitable for 3d printing and will take lots of work to make printable. You are better off using plans and designing your own parts. At absolute most, you can use those files as a 3d reference.

8. Litch42f

Litch42f Well-Known Member

diceman42 likes this.
  9. BigGunJeff

BigGunJeff Well-Known Member

I agree,those files are not suitable for direct printing, but you can create surfaces that conform to the STL as described in the resource. The surfaces can then be converted into a solid that is perfect for further designing and ultimately printing.

diceman42 likes this.
  10. darkapollo

darkapollo Well-Known Member

Obviously not new to F360 modeling but I actually learned a thing or three. Well done, Will.

diceman42 and bsgkid117 like this.
  11. notSoGnarly

notSoGnarly Well-Known Member

I think this should be pinned?

diceman42 likes this.