TyngTech has a new toy!

Discussion in 'Digital Design and Fabrication' started by SteveT44, Apr 10, 2018.

1. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

Was at my local Microcenter store and noticed this on sale for $180. I couldn't pass it up. It's a rebranded Wanhao i3 mini. Nothing fancy but it's got excellent reviews for an entry level printer. Build envelope is 150mm x 150mm x 115mm. It's PLA only but with a simple hot end upgrade, nylon is very doable. If I want to fool around with ABS, a heat bed would be easy enough to add.

upload_2018-4-10_10-23-41.png

2. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

:( there goes my monopoly...

3. warspiteIRC

warspiteIRC RIP

4. pba

pba Active Member

Monoprice has the same unit with heated bed for 190

5. SteveT44

6. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

I got my PowerSpec I3 Plus at my local Microcenter (St Davids, PA) for $280+tax. Love it. Once it was set up and I figured out it's quirks (every printer has them) I was running large, long duration prints away from the printer with no concerns/hiccups. Pretty much printed everything from the deck up on my Dunkerque.

7. SteveT44

Finally got a print of this printer. Been having adhesion issues. Definitely a learning curve with this 3D printing stuff. Thanks to RCEngr for the model. A couple of these will be finding a place on the mid-deck of my Barham.

upload_2018-4-18_10-29-13.png

Z Boat likes this.
  8. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

I have found that wiping the blue tape with acetone significantly helps with adhesion. that and that ONLY 3M blue tape works for me. any other brand fails to work

9. SteveT44

I used Elmer's gluestick and 3M tape. Will have to try the acetone wipe. I also hear alcohol also works.

10. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

Gluestick works perfect for me, no other additives required. Especially with PLA, its probably the easiest to get to adhere properly.

11. rcaircraftnut

rcaircraftnut Well-Known Member

I am going to be doing a printed Mig 15 soon and it requires pla however I have abs and am wondering how difficult it is to change filaments? I mean like do I need to change a bunch of settings? I know the temps will be different but what else?
    Once I get the Mig to print I will be doing a Corsair and a p38 as well. This way I can build it fast cheap and easy. Allowing more time for the boat projects.

12. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

Its mainly the temperatures and such, certain filaments will like a slower print speed and different settings for extrusion percentage etc. The biggest thing is if you have an enclosure. PLA prints fine in an open air printer, but most others require the contained heat of an enclosed setup. ABS also can let off small particles that aren't so great for your health, so another reason for an enclosure.

13. rcaircraftnut

Planed on doing an enclosure. Have you done anything with the flexible filaments?

14. Beaver

Whatever filament you set your printer up with, I suggest you use the entire roll before trying something new. If you're constantly switching out different filaments it will be hard for you to troubleshoot issues. And believe me, you'll have issues. Stick with that first roll, get it running well, and use it all. :)

15. rcaircraftnut

That was my plan but I am going to have to learn it so I am asking what I hope are the correct questions.

16. Beaver

Best bet, start out with all the stock printer settings and the recommended temps for the material and adjust as needed. You may need to raise or lower the gotend temp depending on the brand of filament, etc etc.

17. rcaircraftnut

Did you mean hotend temp? Not trying to correct you just want to be sure I know what you meant.

18. Beaver

Haha, yes. [Dumb phone] :rolleyes:
    These things are a constant learning experience. You can't just take the recommended settings and run with them. It's a near constant process of tuning and tweaking to get the prints perfect. With time, it will be easier to get right, but until then you might feel like throwing the thing out the window. Just saying...;)

19. rcaircraftnut

Nah, I am probably the only one in my family with any patience. Lol. I will get it one way or another.