U.S.S. Omaha Build, WWCC Big Gun

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by Julian Barbera, Jan 11, 2020.

1. Julian Barbera

Julian Barbera Active Member

Hey all, I have decided it is finally time to build my own ship! I went to my first battle a bit more than a year ago, and first sink little more than a year ago. I have chosen to build a USS Omaha class cruiser. This build will follow the WWCC big gun ruleset and will be as thoroughly documented as possible. I will be incorporating many of @mike5334 build techniques, most importantly the modified flat building technique to accommodate for the curve in the Omaha’s deck.

Information about the Omaha class, and what I will build:

Length O.A.- 555.5ft actual, 46.25in in 1/144 scale

Width O.A.- 55.5ft actual, 4.625in in 1/144 scale

Propulsion- 4 shaft 34kts actual, 2 shafts 33 sec 100ft in scale (I am undecided if I should use two motors, or one motor and gearing) 7.2v system

ESC- Viper Marine series

Armor- 3in actual, 3/32in balsa in scale

Armament- 12 x 6in + 10 x 21in TT, and in scale 6 x 1/4in auto-reloading TT + 2 x BB in the front.

Building info:

Plans: Omaha class plans on loan from the WWCC plan library, rescaled from 1/192 to 1/144(if you need plans printed cheap I recommend pdfplotting.com)

Bow impenetrable area-2in

Stern impenetrable area-2in

Frames: 18 ¼ in frames (+2 for the end of the bow and stern impenetrable area)

Sub deck: 1/8th in

Deck: 1/16th in

Extra-depth: 1/2in

Superstructure: rcengr’s 3D printed superstructure, pretty minimal since I need to keep the top weight light.

I’m hoping to be fighting by the summer but even that seems like a stretch! The build will start in the next few weeks, I have ribs templates mostly ready and will finish the planning phase within the next two weeks! Wish me luck.

Plans

Z Boat likes this.
  2. BigGunJeff

BigGunJeff Well-Known Member

Can't wait to see how the build goes!

3. Nibbles1

Nibbles1 Well-Known Member

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You betrayed the Axis!!!!!!!!!!!
    Whatever. It doesn't need to be an omaha it can be a yamaha
    Very excited to see how you build it though.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
    rcaircraftnut likes this.
  4. Julian Barbera

Update:
    Finally got all my ribs designed and printed! I took my scan of the plans and uploaded it to photoshop. I made two identical files of the ribs, then mirrored one so it only had ribs 1-11 and the other mirrored 12-22. I the. Copied those files, one for each rib and trimmed each one to only show one rib. I now have a file for every rib that I can print out and make ribs with.
    I printed them out and rough cut the ribs and subdeck. I will start sanding soon!

5. Nibbles1

pictures! PiCTurEs! PICTURES!

6. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Just for clarification, did you 2d print the rib patterns for later cutting wood ribs, or did you actually 3d print your ribs? asking because my first thought was "cool!" and my next thought was "wait, which one did he do?"

7. Julian Barbera

I use a traditional printer for the rib templates. I could probably 3D print ribs(it would be an interesting experiment, I see most 3D printed boats done in large sections instead of imitating wood builds), but I'm doing my first build old school!

rcaircraftnut and Z Boat like this.
  8. Julian Barbera

How long soon is is defined by the speaker. Here’s one all encompassing pic; everything needs refining, sanding, polishing but it’s on its way! 1A40BC8A-1800-4EA8-9076-457DCDD30FF2.jpeg

9. Nibbles1

Nice! It looks like how my dad serves pork LOL. Is this ship going to have reloading torps and are you going to use a 3d printed superstructure?

10. Julian Barbera

Reloading torps and 3D supe

11. Nibbles1

You know you can't leave the water with reloading torps right? That could be dangerous.

12. Kotori87

If you can fit it, reloading torpedoes are nicer because you can keep the pressure up on your target. However, Omaha is a relatively skinny, tippy cruiser just like the Giussanos, and it may not like the added weight of CO2 bottle and reloading mechanisms.

13. Julian Barbera

I’m added lots of extra depth to her, and keeping my weight low. I don’t think I’ll have a ton of problems with tipping unless I’m making high speed turns!

14. Julian Barbera

Leaving the water takes away your time on the water. It also restricts how far you can go from port, if you fire your rounds across the pond you are good as a cargo vessel.

15. Nibbles1

@Z Boat did a Giussano with reloading torpedos

16. Z Boat

Z Boat Well-Known Member

I have a 4 oz bottle with 4 reloading 1/4" guns and the boat can rock in a hard turn but it is stable enough. I think I could easily get some BB guns in and you should be able to fit the same in your Omaha.

17. Kotori87

Was that the Luigi Cadorna that Gascan built with 1" extra depth? That thing was stable as a rock.

Nibbles1 and Julian Barbera like this.
  18. BigGunJeff

BigGunJeff Well-Known Member

This build.is really cool. Can't wait to see more

Julian Barbera likes this.
  19. Julian Barbera

Hard at work sanding! A good sign your sanding correctly is warning labels being covered with sawdust! 637F8FCC-1301-4A90-BAA6-C58239ADBD63.jpeg C31F0F3D-CEF3-408E-9327-D36E04101314.jpeg E6467418-6791-4B7D-9896-4465CED2411A.jpeg

20. Kotori87

I love the smell of sawdust in the morning....