U.S.S. Tennessee

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by John Doogan, May 2, 2015.

1. Cannonman

Cannonman Ultimate Hero :P -->> C T D <<--

I can't speak for the Tennessee specifically, but typically the areas you are speaking of usually *not always* fall into at least one of two portions of the rules. 1) The hull only has to be penetrable a minimum of 1" below the waterline, anything below that point can be solid, and made from whatever you like. 2) Most clubs have a 45 degree rule. Basically it means that anything that is below the 45 degree turn of the bottom of the hull can also be solid, even if it is less than 1" below the waterline.

Here is one clubs explanation of the rule. they use 60 degrees, but the concept is the same. The ruleset you are building for will most certainly vary, this is just an example of the basic concept of the rule:
    60 Deg Rule WWCC.jpg

Based on these 2 rule inclusions, most of the time the areas you are questioning will fall into the solid area at the bottom of the hull. There is usually an allowed exception to make the area around the prop shafts solid as well if they fall into the penetrable area after applying these two rules, but that will vary as to what is allowed as well.

Hopefully someone else who is more familiar with fast gun rules will chime in and can point you in the right direction on the stringer.... I think there is quite a bit of differences from club to club as to the specifics of these.

Last edited: May 3, 2015
  2. WillCover

WillCover -->> C T D <<--

45 for fast gun, John have you downloaded the rule set off IRCWCC Home Page

3. WillCover

also that version of Tenn is as built the stringers would very small in scale for the armor belt

4. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

By rule, any portion of the hull that's 45-degrees down the turn of the hullshape (or further down than 1" below waterline) can be solid. That stern area above the inboard screws & rudder should be solid approx at the 24' draft mark.

5. warspiteIRC

warspiteIRC RIP

bottom can be more or less solid because it is below the 1" below waterline or past the 45 degree on the hull. I tend to use 1/4" ribs but 3/8 where I plan to meet the balsa (overlap?) on the sides so I have more area to glue the two pieces.

6. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

Here's a picture of the hard area in the stern of the USS Texas. If I remember correctly, most of the hard area is at -1", but I think the last 3 ribs are at the 45 degree turn of the hull. You can see there is plenty of hard area for the rudder and prop shafts.
    Texas stern.jpg

7. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

John, before you get too deep into the build, see if you can make a trip up to Louisville soon. Just let me know when to expect you. You can spend the day at my shop going over things and looking at ships I have here. You will get a better idea on how to do some things that will help you in the long run.

8. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

If that is not doable soon, then hop on Skype. Lipp, Tugboat, and I are always on Skype, and I have a video cam running in the shop. Almost every day from 12 noon till about 2pm, and then again in the evenings.

Anybody who wants to join in may do so, no need for a cam as you can view the live shop without one. We would love the company.

I can also show you on live video what things you may have questions on.

Just add McSpuds in your friends list, and keep Skype running when online. If you are online, I will send out invites when working in the shop.

9. John Doogan

John Doogan Member

Will do, I may be on tomorrow after court. I might try and make a trek up that way on my next 7 days off. I will get with you before hand.

10. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I hope you can make the Memorial day battle! It's shaping up to be a good one with great attendance!

11. John Doogan

John Doogan Member

Sadly no, working that weekend. I really wanted to go :(

12. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

There is always bad seafood to eat

13. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Hows your foray into the wild world of warships coming?

14. John Doogan

John Doogan Member

Pretty good. I almost have enough points for a North Carolina!

15. Cannonman

Any forward motion on your build??

16. John Doogan

John Doogan Member

not much, need to get over to the father in law's house to use the scroll saw. Work has been tough and will continue to be tough over the next week. Gotta work the next 8 straight.

17. Cannonman

Yikes!! That's a lot of work!! Hope you find some time to get going on her soon!

18. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Indeed!

19. WillCover

Are you still working on her John?...Be safe out there. God bless.