Unique onboard systems

Discussion in 'Research and Development' started by JustinScott, Dec 23, 2006.

1. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

I've seen everything from prop/rudder mixing to camera assisted targeting on warships. Some people even talk about sonar, although I've never seen it...

What do you have onboard?

2. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Mine laying: I know its not unique, but it isn't very common. The simplest methind is to drag the mines out behind you and simply release the anchoring weight from your ship. Some clubs may require that the mines get carried on the ship and drop them off the back. However, I have yet to see a system like this that works, and dragging it out behind is far simpler.

Listing device: Someone in the WWCC made a device to intentionally induce a list in his ship, simultaneously depressing his guns and presenting his deck as a target rather than penetrable hull. It is non-weapons technology, so technically its legal, even if real ships never INDUCED a list (I know they countered lists, though). Several people, including myself, fought against this, but the club wrote a rule and voted it in, so there is no arguement now. I am planning to include a two pound listing device in my light cruiser Luigi Cadorna at some point, capable of bringing the deck to the water level (try putting a hole in me when all you see is deck). They voted in someting that doesn't make sense, so I'm going to bring it back and bite them in the backside with it.

Lights: I have seen pictures of 1/72 scale combat ships from the Queen's Own at night with running lights for night battles. I have also heard that several other clubs run night battles as well. You need to know where your ship is, but you don't want the other guy to.

Smoke, Fireworks: I know one member of the QO who can mount sparklers, bottle rockets, and other fireworks on her ship for celebrations on the 4th of July and other holidays. I also know that the QO allows the use of smoke bombs to lay smoke screens. This is done more as a distraction while another ship lays mines or helps a disabled ship back to port. I have seen a smoke system on Ben's HMS Rodney (see photos in the WWCC 2006 fleet meeting). This one is similar to fog machines. It doesn't make enough smoke to lay a screen, but it's a cool detail.

Homemade Controller: Rookie member Steve from the WWCC made his own transmitter and reciever for his ships. He installed it in a small destroyer with torpedos, and it has been combat tested and sink tested (he he he, I helped with that :D) and works great. He has not tested it with rotating guns, but he is working on a test test ship. I know other people have made test systems to cntrol rotation, depression, and convergence, but I have not heard of anyone ekse who has something on the water and fighting.

Reliable Recovery Floats: Most people (at least, in the WWCC) seem to think "My boat will never sink, so I'll slap something together and call it a float" without testing it. Many of these floats don't work, and we only find the ships through extensive searches. Fortunately, many sinks are in shallow water near shore. You'd think people would learn after the first sink, but that's very rare. Sometimes I find repeat offenders, and I feel like refusing to help them, but so far all I've done is take numerous underwater photos of their shameful performance and posted them all over the internet.

3. aroeske

aroeske Member

Rear Turrets rotating with rudder throw: Gene W in the MBG does this with great effect.

Oscillation reducer thingie: I put a pendulum like device in my heavy cruiser to reduce the time after a broadside to return to steady state. It took the time from 4 seconds to 3 seconds, not great, but better.

Andy

4. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

The MWCI does a night battle at every Nats. Not everyone plays, but it's great to watch even if not battling. I bought some really cool looking little nearly-scale spotlights and mounted them on Invincible where her real ones were. I'm moving them to Hyuga for Nats 07, and adding port/stbd side lights bow and stern. The Spotlights turn on with a Team Delta card using a spare channel on my 6ch radio.

I don't know about IRCWCC (because I don't have their rules in front of me), but MWCI outlawed intentional list devices, and positive hull pressurization. Some ships can nearly do their ahead speed in full reverse, and some talk has been raised about limiting astern speed boosting.

5. JustinScott

>Rear Turrets rotating with rudder throw
    What do you mean by this?

> positive hull pressurization
    What do you mean by this?

6. Tugboat

Rear turrets moving with the rudder throw: We had a guy do this. He didn't want to buy a 6 channel radio (his 4-ch was working well) so he put a Y-connector on the rudder servo connection, and plugged a rotate servo into that. When he turned to stbd, his guns rotated 15 degrees to that side, and same to port. When the rudder was inline, so were the guns. He figured that if he was getting chased, he could turn and still have guns pointing at the target.

Positivve hull pressurization: That's using some kind of regulator to apply gas pressure to the inside of the hull, in theory the pressure inside will push air/gas out of any BB holes, instead of water coming in through them.

7. JustinScott

ruddy turrets: That's actually a great idea! hehe. hhhmmmm... Now you have given me somethign to think about. I have the extra channel... but that's really interesting...

Posi-hully-pressuriezerationsionses. I'm tired & want to go home, can you tell? Ok, not a way of refloating a boat after its sunk to save a lazy person (like me) from swimming.

8. Tugboat

The ruddy turrets don't need the extra channel :) Huzzah! The Y-connector takes the signal from one channel and send it to two servos... the rudder and the stern rotates. So you'll still have the extra channel for activating the CO2-powered lift balloons to raise your baby from the bottom :) Better get an extra CO2 bottle!

9. Craig

Craig Active Member

I would like to install something.... unique. A mast on a pulley system. Hit the button and the boat's flag comes down, and my true colors go up! Jolly Roger! Pirates all the way! It would be neat to install on a bunch of ships and then hit a few buttons and turn friends into enemies by creating a pirate armada! Just a differnet way to play the game.

10. Tugboat

Not to be combative, but you do know that pirates were rapists and murderers, right? Not the happy hollywood type?

11. Craig

Craig Active Member

Whoa. Hold up! You mean to tell me that everything I see on tv is not real?!?!! What about loveable Captain Hook? The Pirates of Penzance? Treasure Island pirate type people? ummmmm what? *falls of chair from stroke*

12. Tugboat

LOL

My wife doesn't understand why I won't go see Pirates of the Caribbean, either. Too much misrepresented history there for me to enjoy the movie. Nothing against you (or my wife who loves the movies), just not really my thing.

Although the Pirates of Penzance _did_ have a smashing soundtrack, got to admit.

13. JustinScott

I must have been tired yesterday. I keep finding myself trying to explain what I should have wrote the first time!

I mean to say I didn't need an extra channel, I have enough already.

Wouldn't that be great if we could raise the boat from davy jones locker remotely & sail her (mostly submerged) back to shore? I think that would be great. Pipe Dream? Maybe. But damn neat either way!

14. Craig

Craig Active Member

As you described it I saw it.... covered in barnacles and seaweed... chuggin along... LOL

Tuggs, as for the Pirates of the Carribean, does this mean you watched and didn't like or didn't know. Cause I was only a moderate fan of pirates. Saw Depp doing his thing and I was hooked! Saw the new movie seven times in theatre and would not "pirate" a copy when it came out on DVD, I waited for someone to get it for me for Christmas... that was hard to do. The reason they are not accurate is simple, they are based on the disney ride. I know you know that, and knowing that which you now know, you knew that I knew that too. (adapted Jack Sparrow) I enjoy getting wrapped up in the adventure and the volume of detail is phenom! They did a great job and from the other movies on pirates I've seen they might not be spot on, I agree, but, they are damned entertaining to watch. Give the wife a second chance and sit down with a your favorite beverage a big bucket of popped corn and the missus and giv'em a whirl for yourself, and if not for yourself then for dear ole Jack!

heheheheheheh ok... So I went on a tangent. Won't be the last time! I hope I'm not the only person who liked em' that much!

15. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Nope buddy I watched the movie 14 times and 10 of those was in the theater. I could not get enough of it. Can't wait for the next one.

16. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

I occasionally get caught up with some of my anime-watching friends in the timeless Pirate-Ninja war. Of course, ninjas have some serious skills, but its hard to argue with a pirate battleship ;p

17. Craig

Craig Active Member

It was really, really good, both the first and second movies sitting on top of my tv. The only movies to have that place of honor. The next one is out in May Curt, with Spider-man 3 (May 4), Shrek 3 (May 18), Pirates 3 (May 25) the next big movie is Fantastic Four 2 (June 15) and Harry Potter (July 15). It's gonna be a big summer. Simpsons, Die Hard, Transformers, and the third installments of the Bourne and Ocean's movies get honorable mentions as well. I'll go out on a limb now and say Pirates will make the most worldwide now. Not to start another thread. :)

Also, Carl, Ninja vs Pirates would be a good movie. However, the moment the pirates go to sleep (after drinking lots of rum) the film is pretty much over. Pirate ship vs Ninja ship, no contest. Ninjas are just sneaky tards.

18. Tugboat

No way man! Ninjas kick @$$! Before the fat pirate leader gets "Arrr, matey, fire them thar cannon at those scalawag Ninjas", he'd have an arrow in his throat! Or a thrown ninja sword. Or a ninja spoon. Or a conveniently ballistically weighted cow. He wouldn't even get past "Arrr..." before he got to making an icky gurgle.

Ninjas, definately.

(I'm not at all biased, sailing for the Japanese Navy)

ps- definately looking forward to FF2 and the next Harry Potter. With Ninjas.

19. Craig

Craig Active Member

I have the Shinano. Ninja's can't win em all, Tuglous. The athletic ability of the crews are not at question, hand to hand, ninja win. Completly hammered pirates in ship versus ninja-clan ship, Pirates. The captain goes down, pfttttt, they are too drunk to care and keep fighting. If it was Jack Sparrow he woudl board the ninja ship and take em all out! Although if it was a night attack, the ninja's would win that too.

20. JustinScott

So bringing this discussion back in line, you think "ninjas" would be a unique onboard system?