Unique onboard systems

Discussion in 'Research and Development' started by JustinScott, Dec 23, 2006.

1. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

A small amount of extra CO2, in like a tiny container....it could definately work.

2. squires

squires Member

it could work really well using some sort of ballon that tucks into a skinned under belly of the ship

3. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

Until you expanded said balloon & it caught on something sharp & exploded.

4. squires

squires Member

there isnt much sharp on the under belly of a boat, would have to be below the boat to cause it to be able to drive back to shore or else there is really no point

5. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

you haven't seen what I have run the underbelly of my boat over....

6. BoomerBoy17

how about 2 long thin ones on the sides?

7. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

If you put them on the top you can still drive the boat back to shore, or close to it. Its just more like a sub that way! Anything that lets it get into knee depth or shallower water is really all you need.

8. squires

squires Member

i was more worried about the motors and servos not working under water then it running like a sub something curtain like would work down the side. i can see running over objects an issue and the added drag from an under belly balloon.

9. phill

phill Active Member

IRCWCC was playing with an idea a few years back. Take a toy punching balloon from the grocery store. It was fairly heavy rubber with a loop at the top to hook up a rubber band to. Put a plug in the intake that has a grove to hold a tie wrap. The plug gets a hole tapped for 10/32 and a clippard barbette. All you need is a popette and some hose. Hit that channel and the co2 flows into the balloon!
    I think the idea was to actually mount this in a channel cut into the bottom of the hull so the balloon had space. Would be super cool if we could figure out how to use the sink to change a switch from co2 goes to gun to co2 goes to balloon.
    One of the problems with email lists is that there is no searchable archive for the stuff that got talked about a couple years ago. :(

10. MotoPhoto

MotoPhoto Member

Phil-
    I've been trying to think of what to call that "toy punching balloon" for two days now. (I ain't the sharpest knife in the drawer). That would seem to be a good material and am glad to hear someone's already thought of it. If you want to try and retrieve some of that prior discussion get in touch with whoever handles the WCC's listserve. Some systems so archive a copy but only allow the administrator the ability to access the data. Likewise, if any of the members from that time were using a Gmail.com account then it's likely they have the discussion archived and can access it using the Google search engine and their archived mail. I'd love to read more about what y'all were planning.

11. JohnmCA72

JohnmCA72 Member

Instead of using a "toy punching balloon", which you'll probably never find of the exact size & shape you need, just assemble whatever size/shape bladder you need from heavy sheet rubber, vinyl, etc. There are plenty of suitable cements available. Add a "hard point" to attach a fitting.

JM

12. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

I resent that! Sort of you see my family background is rooted in Piracy. My family tree is from Pirates.

13. squires

squires Member

i assume thats from a really long time ago

14. David

David Member

What's wrong with simply putting a CO2 bottle inside the hull, attaching a solenoid, and firing it to displace the water inside the ship and bring the ship to surface. The pumps would have to come back on line, then you would have to go to flank speed and make for the closest shoreline before the ship could refill with water. This wouldn't need any pop able balloons and the ship would surface from the depths with many bubbles and in a very epic fashion.

Of course, the gas would have to vent from the chamber slowly, or the hull might explode, but this could probably be done with a restriction at the solenoid. In fact, slower gas may give you more time to race to shore before your ship sinks again.

Would this be against the rule that states that no ship can have positive hull pressurization, even if it was made to only go off once the ship was completely submerged? (i.e. capacitance sensor and/or timer?)

P.S. How do I get that thing to the left that says "no photo available" to have a photo?

15. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

Yeah that sure sounds like positive hull pressurization, also i bet you wouldn't be able to dump co2 into the hull fast/long enough to raise the boat. The decks aren't airtight and if you have a bunch of bb holes that wouldn't help either. I think you would probably just make a lot of bubbles if you did that after you sank. Sometimes a ship sinks but gets an air bubble trapped in the bow and they will float by that and you can drive them back semi submerged like that, but I've only seen that with small ships (destroyers/cruisers). Probably because the amount of air needed to do that on a battleship is large enough that there aren't any airtight pockets that size where the bubble can form.

16. squires

squires Member

yer i think the issue would be in finding enough spare co2 to fill a hull with gas and all the related flow problems with it, eg why would it not just run out the hole right next to the canister instead of filling the hull with c02

17. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

the whole co2 balloon thing has been done. It was funny when it deployed in the middle of a battle! To get rid of the no photo available...
    I tried to get to mine, after 4 times I managed to get to the photo edit but when i tried it again it wouldn't come up. Must be a system flaw. Usually it is up, to the right when you click "My Profile"

18. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

I recall hearing about a particular Dunkirque in the NTXBG that suffered that problem during NABGO once. Each time it sank, the firing servo twitched and dumped gas in, raising the boat back to the surface. It then proceeded to sink again, causing the servo to twitch again. The ship kept sailing, and after several cycles of raising and sinking she got back to the boat launch crane and was retrieved. Note that I said "suffered" that "problem" because, IIRC, it was ruled that each was a separate sink.

19. BoomerBoy17

Ouch, that must have hurt the French. Oh well, i dont hear about small gun Dunkirques very often.

20. squires

squires Member

hahahah i love it, he should of just entered the dunkirque as a submarine and said he was surfacing for air. how well did the baloon system work?