uploading 3D .stl files as batch

Discussion in 'Digital Design and Fabrication' started by bkoehler, Feb 22, 2019.

1. bkoehler

bkoehler Active Member

Hi All,

I'm going to upload the entire HMS Queen Elizabeth structure (most of you have seen mine). Of course, it is in several pieces/files (British love their massive castles on the water, don't they). Is the best thing to do to zip them all together first and upload the combined zip file? or does the forum software have a way to group files or such (I've not uploaded a "resource" to this system before).

As example, I will attach an image (image is just of bow SS pieces alone.. so you can see it is a lot of files) HMS Malaya Bow SS.png
    BrianK

2. Xanthar

Xanthar Well-Known Member

Yep. Zip 'em.

3. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Zip file, unfortunately the resource system is focused on a '1 file per resource' model

4. bkoehler

bkoehler Active Member

Thanks. I think I got it figured out and done (the compressed file seems awfully small but they are all there when I view the .zip file here - I did not realize there was that much space for compression in .stl files). It should be uploaded and awaiting approval.

absolutek likes this.
  5. Xanthar

Xanthar Well-Known Member

Yes. STL files are kind of wasteful because, every shared vertex is stored in every polygon it is used in. Alias wavefront files (.obj) are more efficient and most slicers will read them just as well as .stls. They are also easy to create with code or edit by hand. I can't wait to see these files. Did you also model the turrets?

6. bkoehler

bkoehler Active Member

Thanks.
    No, I did not model the turrets. I already had the cast Vanguard turrets that I thought looked suitable on the QE:
    http://battlersconnection.com/hms-vangard-resin/

Hopefully everything uploaded. I will add a photo of it all assembled on my QE (for reference) in the discussion section of the resource.
    BrianK

7. Keith Walsh

Keith Walsh New Member

The easiest way to upload and share stl files i have found is via drop box then share the link.

8. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

That is one way, but that way is the wild west. We have a centralized repository here so that things are organized, discussion is tied to the specific items, and things dont get lost when someone randomly cleans out their dropbox folders.