US Standard Type Battleships

Discussion in 'Ship Comparison' started by eighthgear, Apr 3, 2010.

1. eighthgear

eighthgear Member

I was reading about the so caller "Standard type battleships" on Wikipedia. For those who don't know, the term refers to the battleships of the Nevada, Pennsylvania, New Mexico, Tennessee, and Colorado classes. I do like the looks of the ships, but I wanted to know how well they would perform in big gun combat. They are smaller than later battleships, but I was worried that their top speed would be to slow. I am also interested in any other similar ship from different navies, such as the Iron Duke, Indefatigable, Lion, Bayern, Moltke, or Von der Tann

2. Knight4hire

Knight4hire Active Member

Where in Chi town are you?

I noticed that there is a BIG Guns guy in naperville (Ironguns) and a newbe in algonquin (Miller7D) who is thinking about building a Big Guns boat in the future.
    And then I am a BIG Guns type who sails in the far North West Burbs every now and then. (When ever I am able to come home to visit)

3. eighthgear

eighthgear Member

Aurora, which is by Naperville. It will be quite a while before I started purchasing and building anything, since currently I am preoccupied with school and like all students I am a bit strapped for cash. Anyways, I still have not decided on a ship to build.

4. eighthgear

eighthgear Member

I liked the Standard Types because they seemed to have fairly simple designs, especially compared with other ships of the era, like the ones I listed at the end of my post (though I have been searching the forums and people seem to like the Lion, Von der Tann, and Iron Duke.)

5. Knight4hire

Knight4hire Active Member

I am a newbe, but I have been learning a lot.

How the standard ship would hold up in BIG Guns combat depends a lot on how well you can avoid being hit.
    The Iowa's, Bismarck's and Hood's etc. will be firing 1/4 ball bearings. Where as the ships you mentioned will be shooting 7/32 or 3/16 ball bearings.
    I have seen several BB-39, USS Arizona's sailing around. As you know, the Arizona is a Pennsylvania class, and she would fire the 7/32.
    She is about 10 inches shorter thus it will take less water to put her on the bottom.
    Being slower, If a Bismarck and Tirpitz ganged up on her, she would not be able to get away.

I had watched as Big Mo (Iowa Class), took a 1/4 hit below the water line. The pump did not work, yet she stayed afloat for the entire event and was never in danger of going under!

Does that answer your question?

6. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

The Colorado's had 8x16" as their main armaments so they would fire 1/4" rounds.

Unless the rules set penalizes them for WW1 guns.

7. eighthgear

eighthgear Member

How about a Von der Tann or Lion?

8. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

The Colorado is a very nasty opponent in Big gun, her broadside is devastating, and she is hard to hit, so most faster ships simply stay away from her.
    Much like the Queen Elisabeth class.
    As a shore-hugger, or acting as the anvil to a faster allies hammer, she's brilliant.
    Even in the centre of the pond, she might get ganged up on, but she can still bite hard from both ends, and her turning is superior to many of the "modern" BB's

9. Superarp

Superarp Member

ya, im building a maryland. any tips on how to do the hull?

10. Xanthar

Xanthar Well-Known Member

Are the hulls of the "Standards" similar enough that the lines for a Colorado are applicable to a New Mexico?

11. WillCover

WillCover -->> C T D <<--

clipbowBBsmall.png

12. Xanthar

Hard to tell. Pic is too small. Is there a larger version?

13. WillCover

WillCover -->> C T D <<--

14. Xanthar

That picture is very helpful. It looks like, with a slight difference in the bow and the casemates, that they are otherwise the same hull. Thank You, WillCover : P