USS Alaska (Treaty/fast-gun)

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by froggyfrenchman, Apr 10, 2010.

1. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

RE: USS Alaska (Treaty/fast-gun)
    [​IMG]

2. froggyfrenchman

[​IMG]

3. froggyfrenchman

[​IMG]

4. Miller7D

Miller7D Member

RE: USS Alaska (Treaty/fast-gun) Looking good, Froggy! I can't wait to see your ship on the water, hopefully simultaneously with my Iowa!

5. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

RE: USS Alaska (Treaty/fast-gun) It will probably look really good on the bottom of the pond with a Yamato & Musashi floating by ;)

Seriously though, can't wait to see the completed model. I really like "less" common ships like this one.

6. froggyfrenchman

RE: USS Alaska (Treaty/fast-gun) Well, in Treaty it will have the speed to outrun pretty much all of the axis capitalships. Especially the Yamato class. So as long as I pay attention
    to the axis powerhouses, and keep ahead of them, I will be fine.
    In fast gun, driving the ship will certainly require more teamwork from my running mates, and I will definately need to think ahead of the moment.
    And most folks will not expect the ship to do very well. So if it gets caught, and pounded on, or sunk, then nobody will really be surprised.
    On the other hand.. If the ship does well, and isn't a big liability for the allies, then it will be a nice change of pace.
    This will certainly not be the kind of ship that one would want to lone-wolf around in.

I would look forward to running with the Iowa. Not so much because they would work well together. But they sure would look good running
    together on the pond.
    And I can't wait to see your Bretagne. I just looked at the photos of her. I did not know that you were building a plug.
    Very cool.
    I eventually look forward to getting back to building some more French boats. But just now, I am working on some other projects that I want to build,
    and battle. And then I will probably pass them on to some of the newer folks.
    Mikey

7. absolutek

Sounds like its pretty much the equivalent of the Scharnhorst class then.
    I'll probably have to make my Bretagne to treaty rules as I molded in a knuckle on the hull, which would require using a 2nd stringer (1 for casemate, 1 for hull knuckle), not realising I couldn't make the hull accurately under IRCWCC rules.
    --Chase

8. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

RE: USS Alaska (Treaty/fast-gun) It's like a Scharnie, but with longer length and one less gun, unless treaty changes the units. They ARE astoundingly beautiful ships, and I have (among friends) argued that they deserve better than 4.5 units. But I am biased by the beauty :)

9. absolutek

RE: USS Alaska (Treaty/fast-gun) Ahh, I thought it was 5 units in treaty too like in the IRCWCC. Still it will be a very nice looking ship on the water.

10. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

RE: USS Alaska (Treaty/fast-gun) At least she's got a big long armor belt, so you get a nice stringer.

11. Gettysburg114th

Gettysburg114th Well-Known Member

RE: USS Alaska (Treaty/fast-gun) Mikey,
    What are the dark areas on the subdeck?

12. absolutek

RE: USS Alaska (Treaty/fast-gun) Marks closest to the fibreglass look like marker, the smaller lines on the inside look like relief cuts possibly.

13. froggyfrenchman

RE: USS Alaska (Treaty/fast-gun) Yes.
    Small lines are relief cuts.
    Black marker areas are for marking out where I want to use super-glue to hold the wood in place, while the epoxy cures.
    So I have epoxy on most of the wooden strip, with small areas of super-glue in between.
    Mikey

14. froggyfrenchman

RE: USS Alaska (Treaty/fast-gun) A new developement with the Alaska. And a very nice find.
    Treaty uses the Conway's, and Dulin / Garzke series of books as primary references for speeds.
    And we have found that in the Dulin / Garzke U.S. battleships of WW2, there is mentioned that the Alaska class had 180,000 shp built in,
    for a speed of 35 knots.
    Although it was indeed in overload condition, and only for short sprints, that is enough to get these very interesting ships an extra 2 knots.
    So they will be the fastest capitalships on the water. Being one knot faster than the Dutch battlecruisers, and the Lexington class battlecruisers.
    Of course. They still can't outrun, or even keep up with all of the fast axis cruisers that are currently being built in our group. But it will surely
    make things more interesting.
    Mikey

15. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

RE: USS Alaska (Treaty/fast-gun) Hey Mikey thats great! I got to looking through an old book of mine that just touched on them and it said the Alaska managed to do 34 knots for 6 hrs. The front cover is gone but I think it is a old squadron publication. Hey if you get tired of it I will take it off your hands!
    Buddy

16. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

the alaska looks like a smaller Iowa. Does it have a single rudder? Other than that small detail, it could make a cool addition to a fleet.

17. froggyfrenchman

RE: USS Alaska (Treaty/fast-gun) Yes. It has a single rudder unfortunately.
    Can't have everything I suppose.
    Mikey

18. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

RE: USS Alaska (Treaty/fast-gun) that is looking good sofar Mikey, I really look forwards to seeing this one done, I've always liked the way the alaskas looked

19. froggyfrenchman

RE: USS Alaska (Treaty/fast-gun) I got all of the windows cut out, and the deck on my USS Alaska this weekend.
    I also measured and marked off the placement for my rudder, shafts, and main
    turrets. The barbettes are mounted.
    I will try to post some new photos later.
    Mikey

20. froggyfrenchman

[​IMG]