USS Alaska

Discussion in 'Construction' started by Craig, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Craig

Craig Active Member

Class 5 Battlecruiser..... LOA 809 feet, Dual Side mountship?

2. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

Hey guy nice ship, ok for IRWCC I dont think it is allowed to have dual side mounts being it is only a Battle cruiser. The best set up is for a sidemount on each side and twin sterns and a single pump. Her best defense is her speed, just dont get in a turning war with it being a single rudder most of the other BCs have twins you have to play a run and gun war.

3. Craig

Craig Active Member

Thanks for responding Buddy, I guess the question I have to ask is, what rule stops it from having a dual sidemount. I can find only this one:

11 c. The following ships may have two side firing cannons in a single turret covering a side quadrant provided that they are the only side firing cannons covering that quadrant:
    1) HMS Nelson class
    2) Any ship on the Ship List with a LOA of more than 800 feet

Alaska's LOA of course is 809... so now you see the issue. Since nobody I know can answer otherwise it stands to reason, and also the construction rules that any particular ship over 800 ft can support a dual sidemount. It is a bizarre notion for a battlecruiser, but, if we already allow Hood as a battlecruiser to have them.... ????

4. Craig

Craig Active Member

I also know that weight might be an issue and in my example of Hood she outweighs Alaska by nearly 12,000 tonnes. If the only stipulation is that the ship need be longer than 800 feet....

5. Craig

Craig Active Member

Well, the Alaska class can and will have dual sides. It was discussed up here and umoungst the membership we can find nothing excluding here from that ruling.... if anyone else has anything....?

6. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

To the best of my knowledge, Alaska is 100% allowed to have dual sidemounts. Frankly in the IRCWCC that's the only way I'd consider setting one up. You're never gonna turn worth a hill of beans to get stern guns on target, and you know the Yamatos will be on you like white on rice....so you might as well go dual sides and make them pay the price.

Mike D

7. Craig

Craig Active Member

Nice Mike, thanks for your advice! Making these two Yamatos pay is part of why I think it should be done.... :)

8. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Heyyyy wassup with picking on the Yamatos huh? lol After rereading the Ircwcc RULES on this I have to agree the ALASKA can have dual sidemounts,lord knows it's going to need something.

9. Craig

Craig Active Member

You got that right! Should be fun though.... big long and nasty

10. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

Hey guys after reading the rules again you are right! I guess I never really thought of it that way. I have no tplayed with the idea of makeing dual sidemounts that was able to turn from side to side. That would be the only way you could battle her. You would not want to leave one side unprotected.

11. Craig

Craig Active Member

How about Dual side port and dual side stern? A straight stern cannon setup cannot be used as the turret was so far back.... you'd have to install the cannons at an illegal angle to compensate.

12. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

Buddy, in the IRCWCC, the Alaska is a 5 unit ship, so you wouldn't need to rotate the duals. You could simply go duals to one side in "A" turret, duals to the other side in "B" turret (4 units total) and a pump for the last unit. A single rudder ship that long simply isn't going to ever get sterns on target (my Courageous used to have dual sterns...she just didn't turn well enough to bother with them) reliably enough to worry about, so just cover the two sides and you should be golden. Stay on the perimeter of the furball and KEEP MOVING and you should be OK. Eventually a Yamato, or Bismarck, or Derfflinger will want to trade sides with you (they cant resist) and your dual sides will make them pay. By keeping moving, they will have a harder time setting up those stern gun shots, and will have to play sides with you or back down.

I've never met a Yamato captain who would back down from an Alaska. Make him pay for it; as long as its side by side you match their firepower. Just don't try to get cute with them and play any maneuvering games. Alaska would HAVE to be battled as a brutal, in-your-face side to side slugger.

If you sink each other, they've managed to bag a class 5 and you bagged a class 7. Trading an Alaska for a Yamato is a good trade. Can't wait to see how she looks when she's done.

Mike D

13. battleship_dave

battleship_dave Member

I am building an Alaska now and will have pivot dual turret in the bow furthest forward. The center turret will be duat full rotate. From what I have been reading,the stern turret would not be of much use.