USS Arizona BB-39

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by hairy_apple, Jan 4, 2011.

1. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Looking fantastic!

2. hairy_apple

hairy_apple Member

Yeah, the 01 level was wood. 99% sure anyway.. I will have to go look it up now!

3. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

Very nice indeed.

4. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

1St level was wood. It does look nice done like that.

5. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Cool! It looks very nice.

6. hairy_apple

hairy_apple Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Haven't really had much time the last two weeks to work on it much, but got the propeller shafts and rudder post in and mounded up some JB weld to seal and reenforce them. Also added a bunch of the grey goop around the subdeck to fill in gaps and make a smooth transition from hull to subdeck. I really love this stuff... it's insanely strong, easy to work with, sands nice, paints nice. Hopefully by the end of the week I can have motors and a rudder mounted.

7. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

What is the grey goop?

8. hairy_apple

hairy_apple Member

9. hairy_apple

hairy_apple Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Woo hoo! Arizona met the water for the first time today. With some barrowed parts, and ramdom stuff for ballast she sailed around the pond nicely. Still needs a lot of work, but still a huge milestone today.

10. Tugboat

Looking GOOD! Can't wait to see her all up!

11. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Congratulations on the launch! Looks great!

12. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

The ship looks fantastic on the water.

13. Tugboat

CAn we get a status update on the Arizona? I'm dying to know how it looks :)

14. hairy_apple

hairy_apple Member

Oh, man. Sorry, I haven't checked in here in a while. I work split shifts and I am either getting ready for work, driving to work, working, or driving home from work. I really haven't made much progress on the AZ sadly lately. I started cutting out the windows in the hull this week and hope to have it sheeted and painted up by the weekend, I will then take some photos of it and hopefully have it sailing around unarmed but looking good in a couple of weeks.

I will post some photos soon...

15. hairy_apple

hairy_apple Member

Not a whole lot done lately like I said. Just too tired and busy. I have finished sheeting it since these photos, I just need to get it cleaned up a little more and then I'll paint it and reinstall the internals and will be needing to get some guns before I can really keep going.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. hairy_apple

hairy_apple Member

17. hairy_apple

hairy_apple Member

18. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Looks great with the little details.

19. hairy_apple

hairy_apple Member

Whoa, getting close to being ready for some real sea trials... All 4 shafts and motors are in, leaks have been located and plugged. Rudder is now moving both directions an equal amount. I am hoping to take it over to my parent's pond this weekend for some testing. See how it handles fully wieghted down to the waterline, with all 4 motors instead of just the two in the old pictures of it on the water.

Going to finish up painting it today and tomorrow and I should have some more photos.

Then, I need guns. I sorta figured this was going to be a two year project, being my first large battleship. I figure I still have a year to get it armed so I'm doing alright. It's been a little slower getting it onto the water then I had planned, buying a house kinda distracted me for most of the summer.

Pictures tomorrow of it all painted and the rigging and whatnot all hopfully finished up, or at least mostly so. I am searching for a small CLOTH flag to use... anyone know of any 48 star cloth flags small enough to work for our scale?

20. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

Great to hear it is still on going. Buying a house is very important and a good reason for a break. I don't know of a 48 star flag but I found a roll of fourth of July cloth ribbon flag and use it on all my American ships. Here's a shot of it.
    Can't wait to see more photos!
    [​IMG]