USS Arizona BB-39

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by hairy_apple, Jan 4, 2011.

1. hairy_apple

hairy_apple Member

No water pictures yet. I hurt my knee a few days ago and just don't feel up to driving over to my parents house to use there pond. I think Saturday I'm going there anyway so I'll play around with it then. But... here are some updated photos. I still have a few things to fix and a few details to add. I am giong to put dummy barrels in the turrets for now, just to make it look cool. Hopefully by next summer I'll have guns, but for as big toy boat she's almost done. Got the pump outlets installed, and all the motors and shafts and everything tested. Going to cut holes for the turrets Saturday when I'm at my parents house, I don't have a drill press and/or hole saws here. I'm pretty happy for the most part wtih how it's coming along, there are a few things I don't love, but I can redo later.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. hairy_apple

hairy_apple Member

Oh, and as far as a flag, I have an idea. My parents do screen printing and promotional products. They have an ink jet printer for shirts... so I am betting there is no reason it cant do a sheet of flags for me. I just will have to make a page of a whole bunch of flags and I can use them on all my ships. I will take some photos if it works out, I think it would be pretty awesome to have a cloth 48 star flag to fly off my ships. All the paper ones I make all get runined pretty easy when they get wet, and all the small ones you can find that aren't paper are 50 star flags. Cool thing if this works, I could print up any flags I could find artwork for in cloth.

3. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

I hate to say this about your ship....but.. here goes..... FANTASTIC! Beautiful work. Did you really think I was going to say something bad? Not a chance.

4. hairy_apple

hairy_apple Member

Thank you! I am very happy with it so far. I am still going to be adding little details here and there, but the main thing is that it's pondworthy finally! I did end up going to a local pond yesterday for some playtime, and she is great. She turns very nice, handled really nice. Everything about it made me happy yesterday. I had a few more leaks that I found, but nothing major.

Hopefully in the next few months she'll get some teeth. I need to get a hold of a gun first, I've never built rotating multi barrel guns before, so I need to get one in my hands even if it's not going into the Arizona to to play with it and take it apart and learn what the heck I'm doing. The only guns I've delt with so far have been pretty simple and no rotation. It's going to be a bit of a challenge too getting the rear guns in, it's very shallow in the back there and I'm sure I'll have to move motors and such around to get everything to fit, but I'm really hoping to get all 4 guns in there. We have a California in the club, and they are similier in size and it is fully armed so it can be done, it just might take a while for me to get it figured out.

I'll have some pond picutres later today, I left my camera at my parents house.

5. hairy_apple

hairy_apple Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A ship just looks so much better in the water! Sadly, I dropped the forward deck while getting the boat floating right and the two front turrets came ungluded. I had just tacked them on slightly to hold them on for photos. Oh well, she still looks good.

6. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Looks like some ballast adjustment is needed . It looks great.

7. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

She'd look so much better with some cannons installed. The best photo of all would be if she were resting peacefully on the bottom, with weeds swaying gently in the currents, giving a brief glimpse of the many broken and shattered ships she took down with her :D

8. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

Atually the best picture would be the Arizon next to a sinking jap ship

9. hairy_apple

hairy_apple Member

I have to agree with the cannon part... not so much with the rest. Well, maybe the many broken and shattered ships on the bottom part, but not WITH her... under her.
    How's Navy life?

10. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

11. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Beautiful, Iceman. Simply sublime. I can't wait to see hairy_apple's ship the same way ;)

12. Cruiserbecruising

Cruiserbecruising New Member

Wonderful. Absolutely beautiful. Switching ideas from USS Northampton to yours truly, the USS Arizona. Hopefully, by the end of February I will have her and be working.

@Kotori87 I see we have a few axis captains here. :) She never may have met her guns with the axis sluggers in the war, but she has a reborn sister on the way, guns trained on the hulls of your ships. Huzzah! :Di

13. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

Questions I've always loved the Arizona but is it possible to do the model after reconstruction and if so can you add the armor belt and torpedo blister that it had when sunk

14. WillCover

WillCover -->> C T D <<--

I believe she is the rebuild version, tripod and blisters

15. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Yes. The hull you select to build and the topside generally needs to match though, so you can't go top-side as-built and reconstructed hull.

16. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

My plan is to get all eight dreadnaught battleships that were at pearl harbor and use them to sink every jap ship I can Arizona West Virginia Maryland Tennessee Pennsylvania California Utah and Oklahoma. Jeez talk about a pearl harbor guy lol.

17. Scharnhorst56

Scharnhorst56 Active Member

What about the great USS Nevada?!?! The Nevada is my favorite ship of all time!!!:);):)

18. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

I realized I'd missed one and how could I forget the Nevada she was the only one to sortie.

Scharnhorst56 likes this.
  19. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

You know that the Arizona was sister to the Pennsylvania. Ironic that the former blew up and the latter escaped with minor bomb damage.

20. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

Ok so all nine Arizona, Pennsylvania, Maryland, West Virginia, Utah, Tennessee, California, Oklahoma, and last but not least Nevada.

Scharnhorst56 likes this.