USS CALIFORINA BUILD

Discussion in 'Atlantic Radio Control Club' started by CURT, Jul 24, 2008.

1. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

The throttle switch holder has been created. I just need to get the connectors and attach them to the switches. i will mount on a battery and then test with the deck on the hull. if it sits well then it is then attach the receiver.

2. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

Excellent progress, Paul!

I'm still shooting you! :p

3. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

Throttle switch has finally been wired in. tested. it works fine. The pump mount was re-installed. Tomorrow is wire the pump and then attach the receiver. then test with everything connected.If everything works Friday will be a test day at graham's grove.

4. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

Pump has been wired in with the auto switch. Tested with water. the pump engaged. I am making the sensor mount tomorrow and then a full internal system test with everything.

5. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

Full internal check went well.. test with gas on to make sure cannons fired. cannons activated throttle engaged with no problems. Some issies with rudder throw. Not as much as i want.

6. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

Second full system test went well.i had to move some pnumatics. All systems moved with no problems. I will test the hull tommorow on the pond.

7. Chris Easterbrook

Chris Easterbrook Well-Known Member

Is Cali going to be ready for Nats Paul?

8. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

It should be. The only thing left to build is the superstructure. That's why I am hoping for a successful sail test today.

9. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

Scuttle plugs installed???
    Don't worry Paul, we'll keep you going all week. Cali's are great ships and I have lots of spare parts if needed.

10. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

The first sail has been completed successfully. So here is the good , the bad and the ugly. The good. The ship responded well to the radio.No leaks from sitting on the water.No issues with the throttle. The auto pump switch kicked on and off depending on how much water got into the hull. The bad.I need to redo somke of my battery clips as they just want to come off the wire. needs some minor tweaking on how the deck seals in the back. Weight distribution seems to be a bit bow heavy. i need some weight in the back. The ugly. Speed. The rooster tail was somewhat large. It was zooming around. I do need to install the drag props. Rudder throw. I need to get some more rudder throw when turning to starboard. Otherwise I am happy at how it ran today.

11. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

EXCELLENT!!!

Good work.

12. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

The reverse rooster tail was surprising to see. The drag shafts get installed tomorrow. I have picked up some sintra to start the superstructure.I just need a bit of weight to put in the back.

13. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

Wait and see how the superstructure affects the balance, you might be better off than you think.

14. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

I think I will do that. Hopefully it wont take me too long to create a bare basic super structure.

15. Chris Easterbrook

It shouldn't Paul. Do you have a belt sander it makes molding sintra a breeze. Also a good say makes for good sharpe straight cuts. This also makes building a SS a quick venture.

16. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

I dont have a belt sander. I just have a hand sander. I think that should work. It might just take a little longer.

17. Chris Easterbrook

It should work Paul. Belt sanders work better for rounding sintra for stacks and other edges.

18. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

The drag shafts were installed today. Also superstructure work started. Deck 0 has been created.

19. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

Here is a picture of the superstructure work so far.
    [​IMG]

20. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Good work so far Paul. Very proud of the work you have done. You come a long way from inquiring what RC combat is to now building your own dreadnoughts.

Need a favor. None of the Walmart stores here have the Daisy Quick Silver bbs. Can you pick up a couple of bottles for me?