USS CALIFORINA BUILD

Discussion in 'Atlantic Radio Control Club' started by CURT, Jul 24, 2008.

1. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

Not a problem. What walmart sells here are a white label brand silver bb. better than those awful copperheads.

2. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

I have learned a lot since the the failure of the sodak. Biggest lesson. You need space and time to properly build. Second biggest. building off someone else's work makes it harder to fix. I am quite happy at how this build has progressed. I think a class 5.5/6 is my limit. Later in the year I will do some more detailing of the superstructure. So tommrow's plan is to attach the superstructure to the deck. One part of the supersrtucture will have a brass rod inserted into it to keep it attached to deck zero. Deck zero will be screwed to the main hatch. I have spray tool dip so any metal will be coated.

3. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Thanks Paul. I got several bottles of the copper head bbs and I won`t ever use them except for ballast maybe. Good to hear your progressing well with the Superstructure. Have you seen the Roll Call on IRCWCC.ORG site. The Fleets look very intense. Going to be a very competitive Nats this year.

4. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

Here are more shots of the superstructure.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Chris Easterbrook

Chris Easterbrook Well-Known Member

Looking good Paul

6. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

The build is almost completed. Drag disks are installed, I put a bigger servo horn for the rudder to try and get more throw. One electrical connector had to be replaced. Systems tested and are working. So here are some more shots of the ship. I am hoping to get two runs in this week prior to IRCWCC NATS.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Chris Easterbrook

Chris Easterbrook Well-Known Member

Looks really good, will you be posting some pics of Cali with her barrels,turret covers and secondaries installed? I can't wait to see her finished.

8. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

Here are some more shots with turret covers ad secondaries.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Jay Jennings

Jay Jennings Well-Known Member

Nasty looking sting in the tail Paul! When do you plan to go out, wouldn't mind dropping in and taking a look.
    When you want to detail the SS let me know. My band saw and belt sander are at your disposal.
    J

10. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

Thanks Jay. I am hoping to get out this week prior to NATS. That is if the weather cooperates

11. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

Well I did a 2nd run this morning before the grove gets busy. It was a fantastic run. The drag disks make it turn much better. Speed seems to be good. Not sa much of a rooster tail. Only two small items. One of the cannons seems to be hitting the deck. The other is a hose blew at the quick disconnect. Other than that it was a fantastic run. The pump turned on and off depending on the amount of water in the hull. I am pleased. I think one more run should do it before NATS.

12. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Sounds like minor stuff to do at this point Paul. Good work. Looks like California will be ready for Nats. Have you seen the roll call? Nearly a dead heat with both fleets at nearly equal in unit strength. This is going to be thrilling to particapte in. Nice work on the ship superstructure. Just scribe your "Kill" markings on the superstructure after each battle.

13. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

I am thinking of kill rings at the top. It is really all minor stuff. i elevated the barrel. I fixed the blown connection. I just need to get some tabs to keep the decks on and a bit of fishing line to attach the pins.

14. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

I shopped for the bb's this morning. They were COMPLETELY out. Friday morning should have them, I will check back. Also they just did a whole store thing where they carry 6000 and not 4000 packs of daisy bb's. Maybe that is what your stores are doing also. Either way, I will have enough for a few days ( I have 12000) and we might have to go shopping , no big deal

15. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Good to know Iceman. Were fresh out of bbs here . Imagine after planning this and investing only to arrive with no AMMO!Yipe!!