USS California (IRCWCC)

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by Kevin P., May 2, 2016.

1. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

Lets see. I stuck with 1.7" kort props. Rudder post stayed the same, I typically build to about a 60/40 split (40% forward of post, 60% aft), but really just eyeball the split vice measure. It isn't too far forward on this model, camera angle might not be best. The larger rudder helped a lot, boat turns really well for 1 rudder/2 drive props, but slow in turn which is expected for that configuration. It's been a while since I had it on the water so I don't remember exactly the radius, but turned the best I've seen for a similarly sized boat with that prop rudder combo (other Maryland/West Virginia drivers were asking to see my setup).

Unless the props are really small you won't cover both with the rudder. Smaller props significantly hurt acceleration, and a billboard like the Pearl Harbor survivors gets eaten alive if they have the slowest acceleration on the water. The axis boats typically have less target area and can get their guns on target in a location where the billboard can't return fire, and it gets old fast if you can't accelerate away. Boats with less target area have a larger allowance for poor acceleration (consequences are less). Agincourt has a better motor setup than the California, and the little axis boats could get one to two shots off max before I could pull away, which was a lot more fun (frowning axis faces). For a boat this size I wouldn't go less than 1.5." 1.7" worked well with the larger rudder. I'll take pictures when I get back over the weekend.

2. Anvil_x

Anvil_x Well-Known Member

cool, thanks. Since I have 1.5 and 1.75 props available in my stockpile, I'll do my best to fit the 1.75 props. My plan was to use your 60/40 positioning to run the rudder and see if I could eek out significantly better turning performance than what I have now with the 30/70 on Texas. What I did with the Texas and 1" props confirms your assessment of small props. though with the Tex, I am going to leave them on to maintain adequate maneuverability since that boat is just a wallowing pig compared to her main opponent up here (Craig's Baden) in any other scenario. I'm hoping to get the props on Idaho as close as I can together on centerline and concentrate mass in the hull to the center like you did with your CO2 tank and batteries, then have some spots under the batteries between the ribs where I can throw in some blocks of epoxy-birdshot. Possibly even use those underhanging parts of the torpedo bulge to seat two home-made bars of lead to lower the CG even further.

We'll see how it goes. I appreciate the help. Hopefully the build thread will begin by the end of next week.