USS Gridley destroyer

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by rcengr, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Nate G

Nate G Well-Known Member

I have thoroughly enjoyed my Golo from your kit. This would be a neat project even if only as an unarmed convoy ship. Have you made a quantity of these as a kit for sale?

Nate G

2. ish311

ish311 Active Member

enger. what parts did you use on that cannon? looking into building something very similar if not the same or just going with a spurt cannon.

3. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

@Nate G - I have not kitted this ship. The main reason is the difficulty of just completing the kit without at least some custom equipment. Once I finish the Gridley, I would like to take what I have learned and make a Gearing kit that could be built by any experienced modeler. That project is sometime in the distant future.

@ish311 - The magazine for the gun was printed through Shapeways, but I have posted an updated version of the magazine in the 3DP files area that you can print on a home 3D printer. The rest of the gun is pretty standard fast gun design, but I machined most of the parts out of aluminum and glued them together with retaining compound. The retaining compound didn't work for the elbow at the top of the gun, so I bent the up tube from stainless steel. To my surprise, the SS tube was lighter than the aluminum fitting that I was trying to use.

4. ish311

ish311 Active Member

i should have asked about the spurt cannon as well. back in 2013 i think it was. not many designs for spurt cannons as they are only used in DD or similar.

5. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

The spurt gun is pretty simple. I started with a piece of 1/4" OD copper tube and cut it so that is was just long enough to hold the 15 BBs. On one end I soldered a fitting that was threaded for the barrel nut. On the other end I took a piece of plain 3/8" brass rod and drilled it through with a #21 drill. Then I drilled it partially through with a 1/4" drill. The copper tube was soldered to the 1/4" side and the other side was tapped 10-32 for a fitting. Connect your valve of choice and you are ready to go. In the picture you can see I used a QEV valve (about 1.5x the flow of a MAV-2) and a 2 cuin accumulator. It's a muzzleloader, so put the BBs down the barrel and ram them past the O-ring.