USS Iowa Battleship

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by Time Lapse, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Time Lapse

Time Lapse Member

Does anyone have a set of plans for the Iowa class Battleship .The website that has plans for the USS Iowa . Really not enough info for me.

2. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

Strike Models sells both the George Goff & Wiswesser plans. Recommend the Wiswesser as Goff's sometimes have some inaccuracies. www.strikemodels.com

Look for "Wisconsin (Iowa Class). Wiswesser are $16 and the Goff plans are $14

3. Cannonman

Cannonman Ultimate Hero :P -->> C T D <<--

Are you looking for the builders booklet of general plans (like the pdfs of the original shipyard plans that can be found online)?? There are several copies floating around online. Some have the hull sections and some don't, and some are for refits and later configurations. let me know what info is missing that you need, and I may be able to point you to where to get what you want, I'll have to poke around a bit. I'm not sure if there is currently a set out there for the WWII configuration that has the hull sections on it. I *may* have one if that's what you are looking for.

4. Time Lapse

Time Lapse Member

I think there are rib sections from the rear of the ship missing from this website,And I could not match up a side view with my scale I was tracing of the ribs.
    BOOKLETS OF GENERAL PLANS ONLINE | Historic Naval Ships Association
    So I am thinking on getting a proper paper blue prints.
    I also I am enlarging it from the website with no real scale I have , So I am thinking on getting a proper set of blue prints

5. Time Lapse

Time Lapse Member

I am thinking on doing that ,Just seeing is anybody has a old set for sale or hand down to me.

6. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

By far the best route to take. Being able to put a ruler on a paper plan you know is properly scaled to determine spacing or size for stuff

7. Cannonman

I used the Goff plans, and there were inaccuracies. They weren't terrible (totally useable, jut not perfect - think most hand copied plans have inaccuracies).
    I don't remember what was the issue, I think that some of the hull lines were taller than the hull was on the plan view.... It's one of the reasons I plan to start my Iowa over, I just want to use the pdfs from online and create my own cad file from them.

Tugboat likes this.
  8. Time Lapse

Time Lapse Member

Are you using the Wiswesser blue prints on the 2nd try of building Iowa?

9. Cannonman

You are correct, the last hull section is missing on those plans. I have a set of pdfs that include them, but for a first build, you are probably better off with paper in hand. ;)

I would offer you the CAD file I worked up based on the Goff plans, but even I don't remember how I was planning on doing some things during the build. I've forgotten what my plan was, and what some of my intentions were when I made them.

10. Time Lapse

Time Lapse Member

I love the internet but don't like reading stuff on paper,But this is the one thing that I will need to have on paper, Like you said.Being able to put a ruler on a paper plan you know is properly scaled to determine spacing or size for stuff .Sometime old school is the best way.

11. Cannonman

No, I will use the pdfs that are posted online. They will be the most accurate, and are probably what most paper plans are based on. The problem is in the scaling, but in CAD there is no issue, I just import the image into cad and draw over it, then have the software scale it to a known model dimension.

12. Cannonman

I do something like this in CAD. The red lines are my overlays. I just draw it whatever size the picture comes in at, then when I get everything I want done finished, I scale it. On this boat, I know how long the historical ship is, I calculate how long the model should be based on that, the scale the cad data to make it the right length. At least that's how I do it on this cad program, other programs I scale the picture to be the proper model size and draw on that.

PT CAD CApture.PNG

13. Time Lapse

Time Lapse Member

Is the Cad a free program ?

14. Cannonman

Unfortunately, no. I use either AutoCad or Solidworks, depending on what my intention is when I am designing. Both are prohibitively expensive. Check the Digital design section, I think there are some free or low cost suggestions there. I wouldn't really get stuck on the CAD thing though. It's nice, but if you try to learn CAD so you can build a boat, you will likely double the time it takes to get a boat on the water. ;)

Tugboat likes this.
  15. Time Lapse

Time Lapse Member

I am looking at the website that sells the paper blueprints,I think I am going to order them.

16. KeriMorgret

KeriMorgret Facilitator RCWC Staff Vendor

Just to be clear, Strike Models (my company) doesn't sell official blueprints that we obtained from the government of each country. They are drawn by people who have researched the boats, but there are sometimes inaccuracies or inconsistencies. Even when you look at two different books about the same ship, you'll differences between the plans. You will be able to get plans from us that are in the proper scale, printed on a continuous piece of paper, and rolled in a tube. That alone really beats printing things out on 8x11.5 paper and taping it together. You'll get good plans you're able to use, but it's not going to be a set of "here is where every rivet is".

17. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

The Iowa 3D book gas excellent plans included in the book that you can take out and upscale. The 3D rendering of the entire ship and all of it's sections is beautiful .

18. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

Just a note on CAD. solidworks is prohibitively expensive but I no longer use autocad. Draftsight gets me all the autocad functionality I require at zero cost to me. Works good for 2d work. I have not found a truly well featured and cost effective cad package since the pricing on alibre went up.

19. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

And they changed the name from Alibre to something... er... interesting sounding, I forget what it is now. I kept my old version of Alibre Pro.

20. Time Lapse

Time Lapse Member

I have to resize my Blue Prints for the USS Iowa, And am also drawing up some blue prints for a minesweeper USS Raven #55