USS Maryland build

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by darticus, Jan 3, 2008.

1. darticus

darticus Member

Thanks guys for the input
    Still looking for some picks showing the junk in the cotrol box and control box itself.
    Is there a special position for the batteries or are they fine midway? Is there a balance point or something?
    Think the water pump is in ok.
    [​IMG]

Mount for CO2 tank should be ok I hope.
    [​IMG]

Bet you Guys want to bounce some bb's off this puppy soon.

2. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

I just use a 1 inch dowel, and sit the ship on it, trying to balance it to the center, from bow to stern. So far they have all floated fine doing it that way to get a good balance.

Now whatever you do, don't hook up the input wires to the speed controller wrong.

The 0V, is the return, black wire going to the receiver, the 5V, is the supply from the speed controller to the receiver the red wire. This supplies the voltage to the receiver, don't hook up another supply, or you may fry the speed controller. Install a jumper from S1 to S2, then a single wire to the receiver. Usually orange or yellow.

All the little switches should be to the left side in your picture, except for #3, which is to the right, unless you are using lipo batteries, which I do not think you are.

3. darticus

darticus Member

I'm not getting replies to posts again.
    Dave
    Are you saying don't use a separate 4.8 volts battery pack to the receiver with a switch? That's just what I was planning. Gotta watch your wiring setup.

4. djranier

No you don't need to, the 5v is a output, it will run your receiver. Or if you want to run on a 4.8 volt pack, don't hook anything to the 5v on the board.

My new Kumano is just powereing the receiver off the 5v of the speed controller, and it is working fine. Look at the PDF on the DE website, fig 2.2, shows a receiver hooked up.

5. Gettysburg114th

Gettysburg114th Well-Known Member

Very nice looking build.

6. darticus

darticus Member

Still trying to think of a way to make that control box. Seems like I'm stuck again.

7. darticus

darticus Member

Trying to get a radio box built but really stumped. The box I think is best built from 1/8 wood ply or 1/8 plexie. I'm not gonna use the tubaware box which I originally was thinking about. I don't know how mine would be set up. I bought 4 servos for the box, if needed, and I know the push valves have to mount through the side of the box. I was watching Bob's DVD but I think my ship has a different set up as I have the push valves. Is there a pic or a drawing showing my set up for the Maryland? I don't think the ESC goes in this box or does it? Where is the best place to mount this box? Maybe in front of the batteries? Where should the ESC go? Thanks Ron

[​IMG]

8. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

The ESC goes out of the box in the water channeling.
    Check out this page.
    http://www.portpolarbear.com/reports/Inside%20the%20USS%20Honolulu.htm
    About 1/2 way down there is a photo of the box with popits in it. The one servo fires both guns. So this set up would be good for your bow and stern sidemounts.
    Also check out.
    http://www.portpolarbear.com/reports/Inside%20the%20HMS%20Lion.htm
    The Lion has 3 single guns so the box would be the same. But getting the double sterns to fire is different.
    See this one for the I-boat.
    http://www.portpolarbear.com/reports/Inside%20the%20HMS%20Invincible.htm
    Typically the box goes in front of the batteries.

9. darticus

darticus Member

Thanks Bob Good stuff!
    Hey djranier
    Now I need to see where djranier mounts his big ESC as I have the same one. Snipe also has one like Dave's and I want to see where to mount or do I want to put it in a box? Snipe has his sealed so he puts it anywhere.

10. djranier

In my Roma it is in a watertight box. But with my new Kumano it is coated with Scotchcoat, and mounted in the stern by the motors. Ran it, got water on it, and had no problems.

11. darticus

darticus Member

Thanks djranier
    I can put mine in the back in maybe a water tight box.
    I'm trying to build a radio box using a lock box but have to trim lock tabs. Maybe its not a great method. Any suggestions on making it better? Maybe I should build a box. I know I have to change the round disc to a half moon.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

Ron, any news on the Maryland?

13. darticus

darticus Member

FYI
    The USS Maryland was smashed by a kitchen cabinet falling off the wall and landing on the Ship. It than went from the counter to the floor with the cabinet.
    The Maryland will be back!

The Maryland is coming back! Fixed its damage today but lost all my site and email info on my computer as the computer crashed.
    Looking for SnipeHunter as I lost his email also. Epoxy is drying now to chill! Ron

14. donanton

donanton Member

I dont mean to be a d*ck but do you have any pics? Ya know to show your ship fixing skills.

15. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

That really sucks, good luck with the rebuild.

16. djranier

Wow thats bad news, and luck, but just about anything is repairable. Hope to see it at the IRC regionals in April.