USS Maryland build

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by darticus, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

Looks great. Way to go everyone getting him help.

2. donanton

donanton Member

My .02

When you cut the windows, I would recommend wearing one of those $10 paper suits from depot or lowes and wearing a good mask. Preferably one with a vent so that it doesn't fog up the safety glasses when you exhale. That and tape a vacum hose to your dremel so there isnt any dust.

3. darticus

darticus Member

donanton
    So where are the pictures. Heard you did good. Share some pics. I'm almost ready to cut. Ron

4. donanton

donanton Member

Im gonna have the pic by tomorrow. I have to get them emailed to me. They were taken on my friend's camera phone.

5. darticus

darticus Member

Donanton and Snipester
    Don't see any Don pics yet but here are some of my start. Still didn't get to the cutting of windows yet. Hate to cut up Rick's beautiful hull. Let me know if I'm screwing up. Ron

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. donanton

donanton Member

I have pics up. I hope to cut the windows out this weekend.

7. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

Looks good Ron! Now its just a game of connect the dots [;)]

8. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Yeah, what Snipe said!

9. darticus

darticus Member

Thanks Guys. Glad I'm not screwing up yet! Now to connect the dots.
    Hey BOB got the DVD today. Have to send the check yet but very cool! Thanks Ron

10. darticus

darticus Member

Looks like I better start cutting windows before spring. Sorry Rick for cutting this GREAT HULL! Maybe I'll get the windows done this week. If anyone sees a problem don't be shy! Whats next! Sheeting? Gotta buy some glue for sheeting but where do I by it? Ron

[​IMG]

11. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

No I would not sheet till near the end. Go with putting in the stuffing tubes for the rudder, and prop shafts next, or even installing the subdeck. The thin balsa will be easy to break, while you work on everything else.

12. darticus

darticus Member

Thanks Dave
    I didn't know that. Sounds like the other stuff will be more fun. Need to get an epoxy and a good sealer for the decking. Any suggestions on what to get maybe Home Depot will have something. Ron

13. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

Bondo will work. Once you resin in the deck then fill in any gaps on the deck with bondo putty. You will have to sand it smooth however.

14. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

Most of us down here use the West system epoxy, you find it at West Marine. But I have used the stuff from Home Depot also, either will work.

15. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

Id recommend West system too, hobby shop stuff is of varying quality, ive had some peel off the hull when it got wet after a little while.

West Website:
    http://www.westsystem.com/

I use the 105 resin with either 205 or 207 hardener depending on what im doing, I also have a can of 403 filler so I can pretty much turn it into putty if needed.

16. Tugboat

The big plus with West System (or Maas epoxy, same guy designed both) is that you can buy the premeasured pumps that thread onto the cans, and then just do one pump of each and your mix is perfect. Very very convenient.

For mixing in the spaces of the deck rim, I'd add some microballoons to give the West/Maas some viscosity so it'll stay there better.

17. Ragresen

Ragresen Member

The Thing is you can use those same pumps for west system with the Home Depot bought stuff as I know my dad has used them for years for simple repairs. I know myself and he both stick to west systems for anything that is a Marine type of Repair.

18. Tugboat

Which Home Depot stuff? I thought he meant the stuff in the plastic tubes when he said that. Do they actually have good marine epoxy there?

19. darticus

darticus Member

Thanks for all the info but what should I order from http://www.westsystem.com/
    105 resin
    205 hardener
    207 hardener
    403 filler
    Should this do it? Will try to order today. Thanks Ron

20. Tugboat

You'll need the 105 Resin, and I use 205, the faster hardener. It's supposed to cure in 10 minutes, realistically it takes twice that to get thick (initially it's really thin), and 5 minutes after that to be hard enough to not flow anymore.

For fillers, I like 406 or 407, although I've heard of people using the microfibers (403). I haven't tried those as I still have other stuff and not enough money to buy and try everything :)