USS Maryland build

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by darticus, Jan 3, 2008.

1. darticus

darticus Member

Hey Mike5334
    What is a zona saw? What does it look like? Really need pics to see what you mean.

2. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

I'll do a deck tonight after work and get pictures posted late tonight. :)

Mike in SC

3. darticus

darticus Member

Great MIke!
    I finished one side of my windows and removed some tape. Hope tape removal is ok now. Do you think I should clean it up more or is this ok? Can I go to the other side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

Ron, where did you find the west system supplier locally?

5. darticus

darticus Member

Zepplin Hobbies in Wayne NJ. RT 23 North side by Willowbrook mall area. Ron

6. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

The boat is looking great, all I know is that your wife will kill you if you do it on the table where it sits, and get resin on her table, lol.

7. darticus

darticus Member

Its on the table as I just brought it in from the garage to let it warm to take the tape off. I tell my wife whats happening and when and who paid for that table. Wait, I think she is coming and I didn't do the dishes yet. Gotta go! Hope she lets me work on my ship later!

8. djranier

All kidding aside, the windows look right on. Give the subdeck at least one coat before you glue it in place, just to make sure its all covered.

I tack the subdeck in place with super glue, and make sure the main fits on right, then apply the resin to the subdeck around the sides and from the underside thru the windows to complete the attachment to the hull.

9. darticus

darticus Member

Finished both sides of the windows using the Dremel #543 1 1/4 inch Carbide cutting shaping wheel and a #194 Dremel high speed cutter to trim. Ron
    [​IMG]

10. SnipeHunter

Sweet hull Ron, that looks good! See it wasnt that hard to cut that hull up ;-)

11. darticus

darticus Member

SnipeHunter
    Now to seal the sub deck. Do you think the epoxy is the best way. I have the 105 and 205. What is the best way to make this to seal the deck? Just mix and paint on? Was thinking of marine varnish.

12. SnipeHunter

Yeah just mix and paint on, maybe thin it down with some acetone but no more than 50/50. That will make it paint easier but takes longer to dry and stinks a little more. Im not sure if its really needed or not. Ive never used marine varnish so I cant comment on how that works.

Either hang the sub deck from something or do it on wax paper or saran wrap or something so the mess isn't to huge. Since it will be a thin coat on the wood it will probably take a while to cure, especially if you do it someplace cool. I normally do it and then let it sit at least overnight to make sure it cures well.

13. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Brian K and I used marine varnish on the 2 Vanguards, and it seems to work well. Not sure about the status of mine (sold it), but Brian's is still in constant use without a major overhaul.

14. darticus

darticus Member

Coated the sub deck and its drying. How many coats does it need before I put it in the ship?

15. Ragresen

Ragresen Member

One good coat is normally enough. When dry look it over and see if you have any spots where it did not get coated. if so then coat again just to seal it all up.

16. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

Bleah. Was just trying to post the pictures for the deck scribing and got an error. Out of disk space. Ack!

I'll keep trying ...

17. darticus

darticus Member

That happened to me yesterday and later it cleared up with out me changing anything. I think its a site problem. I reported it and they said they see nothing wrong. Ron

18. darticus

darticus Member

How should the sub deck fit? It fits but needs some epoxy to take up the space or maybe it should fit perfect.see pics. Thanks Ron

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. djranier

Looks good. Question for you, are you fitting the main deck all the way to the edges, or going with a 1/8, or 1/4 hull stiffiner around the edges like I showed you on the Roma pictures. The center section has the hull stiffener around the edges, you can see the hold down latches, the stern section has main deck to the edges, since I do not need to take it off after every battle and is screwed down.

[​IMG]

Hull Stiffener - You can get some 1/8 square basswood from Home Depot, and tack it in with superglue all around the inside edges of the hull, on to the subdeck, this is what Don does. I use 1/4 in. Then resin everything to the hull. Gives the top of the hull edge more strength, but you will have to cut down the main deck to fit.

Or

Main deck to hull - Get a small peice of the 1/8 ply form the deck material, and hold it against the inside edge of the deck, sitting on the subdeck, to ensure the subdeck is at the right level, then tack the subdeck in using superglue, after you check it a few more times, the superglue can always be knocked loose if you need to move the sundeck either up or down. Apply more resin on the bottom side, and top side, and if you have large holes fill with your filler, to attach the subdeck to the hull.

Either way works, with the hull stiffener way of doing it, it does give you a bit of room, if you are just going to use turning latches to hold the deck on, The other way will require you to screw down the main deck to the subdeck, again either way works fine, its just up to you.

20. darticus

darticus Member

Don't know which way to go with this. Where do you get the small swivels to hold the deck? Ron