USS Missouri Build (IRCWCC)

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by Kevin P., Nov 29, 2016.

1. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

I think he'll be going for the aftermarket add-on in-ship pool. I heard it comes with free gifts and spare portholes

2. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Yeah, heard something about metal beach balls and balsa floatys?

3. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

The New Jersey had 2 pools on its main deck, add those Kevin just for the fun of it.

battleship pools.jpg

4. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

Historically my effort towards superstructure has been minimal, but I think those could make it on board.

Finished rough cut of subdeck. Inverted hull, then shifted in 1/8" and traced again
    IMG_20170321_174246295.jpg
    Bow section
    IMG_20170321_175301995_HDR.jpg
    whole thing.
    IMG_20170321_181135167.jpg
    Many hours of dremeling will be required to get the subdeck in there with the curvature of the bow. Once subdeck is down to size I will use it as a reference for the deck

5. Kevin P.

in preparation for installing swimming pools, I got a little bit of work done sunday (Seydlitz is priority)

Drag shafts installed. 6-32 bolt soldered into brass tubes.
    Rudder posts in as well, came out about as good as they normally do for me, which is always slightly worse than I would have hoped. Oh well, step complete. Also started on balsa frame for aft water channel. Plan is to fill the area around the shafts with polyester resin/microfibers so the shafts are secure/dont get bent, then put a partial balsa cap on, and fill the rest with foam. It will make a platform for the triples solenoids and expansion tanks

Underside with drag shafts taked in with CA and taped off
    IMG_20170326_171149278_HDR.jpg
    Epoxy drying. Rudder post is a piece of 1x2 pine, kinda soft but not balsa, sitting in a pool of epoxy/microfiber mix.
    IMG_20170326_181211693.jpg
    Side
    IMG_20170326_181221682.jpg
    I'm doing electrical core in parallel with seydlitz to reduce overall production time. Plan is to chip away at waterchannel over the week, and make a rudder servo mount/possibly rudder box

Beaver and SteveT44 like this.
  6. Kevin P.

Time to shift focus back to this build. Working on water channeling. Just doing 1/4" balsa in the middle, raised section in boat and stern. Will fiberglass over balsa. Can't get the whole boat in one shot.
    I will fill the gaps with milled fibers and polyester resin in the stern, then cloth over the top. It will be the mounting base for triples solenoids and exp tanks.
    IMG_0124.JPG
    Middle, keeping it simple. I want then boat to be low in the water when pumping efficiently. Pumps will go port and starboard side aft of the balsa, forward of motors.
    IMG_0125.JPG
    Bow section I started a while ago. I will add an end piece and glass over the edge.
    IMG_0126.JPG
    Looking back at stern
    IMG_0127.JPG
    I also made turrets when I made them for Seydlitz. They came out pretty good.
    IMG_0128.JPG
    Most of the electronics have been prepped as well, and I bought the foam superstructure kit from Strike to serve as a float/reduce build time. Hoping to get this boat together quickly, maybe subdeck in by Friday if I am efficient.

7. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Awesome work.

8. Kevin P.

Thanks Curt, she will never be as pretty as your masterpiece!

Today was probably the first time ever that I met my daily build goal. Water channel is done
    I put a layer of mat under the mid section for better adhesion. This was prep work
    IMG_0129.JPG
    I used cloth for corners, and mat for top/side transition
    IMG_0132.JPG
    California made a good staging surface. Lots of fiberglass
    IMG_0133.JPG
    I put the balsa pieces in with the first batch of polyester resin. I was out of mixing practice so the first few rounds kicked pretty fast, but overall it worked out
    IMG_0134.JPG
    Stern with balsa and filler
    IMG_0135.JPG
    After this was dry-ish I put the top coat of glass over everything. Here is the bow step done
    IMG_0136.JPG
    Mid. Much quicker than the last boat that had a lot more water channeling. I will have to make separate battery 'mounts' for this boat
    IMG_0137.JPG
    And stern. I inclined the boat while it dried so the aft step slants down towards the pump. It ended up more level than I planned, but it should be alright hopefully.
    IMG_0138.JPG
    Overall I'm pleased with how it came out, should be very solid for a long time.
    Next step is the sub deck that I cut out a few months ago. Not looking forward to getting the fit and gluing it in, but I will be very pleased once the deck is attached. Maybe get the aft portion of the subdeck in tomorrow if I'm super-efficient after work. I will be making the rudder servo mount soon as well.

dietzer likes this.
  9. Kevin P.

Aft portion of the subdeck today.
    I used tape and some balsa blocks to pull the sides in to 9 inches for fitting the subdeck while keeping the deck rim / sides flat
    IMG_0140.JPG
    I cut the subdeck and angled the aft portion to fit with the shape of the hull. After prepping the hull I made a tape flange to catch epoxy while installing the deck
    IMG_0141.JPG
    Then show time. Definitely one of the more stressful epoxy jobs of the build, but I think I got it at the right height, the right beam, and relatively bump-free sides. Here is the cursory clamp shot
    IMG_0142.JPG
    Different angle
    IMG_0143.JPG
    Bow portion will be tomorrow. I added two pieces on 1/8 ply at the joint where the bow piece will attach on the underside of the deck to provide a clamping surface. I also used the subdeck to trace the real deck so it fits first(ish) time
    IMG_0144.JPG
    I will probably cut out the main deck tomorrow as well

Beaver likes this.
  10. Kevin P.

Bow part of subdeck in. More cutting this time, worked the Dremel pretty hard. Here is aft portion dry. Came out alright
    IMG_0145.JPG
    Tape for bow
    IMG_0146.JPG
    Bow part ready, sanded down a bit to let the epoxy set into the wood
    IMG_0147.JPG
    Clamped. Much easier than themaft portion
    IMG_0148.JPG
    The only clamping was to get it at the right height. I used 1/8 ply scraps in wax paper as a spacer, then clamped with jaws on top and bottom of deck rim.
    IMG_0150.JPG
    The extreme bow was tough since I cut the deck rim closer to 3/8 on the hull vice 3/8 vertical, so I had to adjust the position by hand to get it right. I just pulled off the clamps and it looks like it set well, with a good shear line.

I also made gun pistons and milled out gun elbows tonight at Hayes shipyard to support gun construction next week. Out of town next two days so build will resume Monday

11. dietzer

dietzer Admiral (Supporter)

What material do you use for your gun pistons?

12. Kevin P.

Stainless steel solid rivets from McMaster. I drill through the center with 1/16" bit on a lathe

13. Kevin P.

Resumed work today. Drew up and cut out deck, 1/8" ply.
    Aft portion of aft piece
    IMG_0151.JPG
    Fwd portion
    IMG_0152.JPG
    Bow deck
    IMG_0153.JPG
    Cut out the aft piece. I did one cut in a giant U so I could use the same piece of wood for the deck hatch pieces
    IMG_0154.JPG
    Deck placed on hull
    IMG_0155.JPG
    Tossed superstructure on to see how it would look. Didn't get the pieces in the right places but it was close enough
    IMG_0159.JPG
    Marked gun locations and starting cutting out barbette holes, aft gun
    IMG_0160.JPG
    Fwd guns
    IMG_0161.JPG
    Then I prepped the subdeck by dremeling off epoxy on the top and sanding down the fiberglass lip
    IMG_0163.JPG
    And stern
    IMG_0164.JPG
    Got the deck rim epoxied down. I think it will come out alright, I will probably need to trim down the other deck pieces to fit inside once everything sets
    IMG_0166.JPG
    Tomorrow I will clean up the underside, then do a sealing coat on the underside and over both the deck and subdeck. I might put magnets in the subdeck to use as deck hold downs, with magnets in the deck pieces as well. I will fill in the edge between deck and fiberglass with milled fibers.
    Here is the aft portion
    IMG_0168.JPG
    Good progress overall, will maybe make up guns and/or work on gun mounts/ Barbettes for the deck pieces tomorrow. Wednesday Thursday will probably be prep for Seydlitz for carlo's this weekend, driving up Friday after work

kgaigalas likes this.
  14. Kevin P.

Cleaned up the excess epoxy from underside of deck today, then coated whole deck with west systems. Also cut gun holes
    IMG_0170.JPG
    Aft with tail pipes. Magazines will be backwards and head aft from the gun. I'm thinking of making a hatch where the end of the magazines are to allow refilling guns without removing that portion of deck since the guns will probably have 1/8" feed tubing
    IMG_0171.JPG
    Fwd. planning to snake the mags into the opposing turret to fill from above, will still have to get CO2 bottle in and out from there
    IMG_0172.JPG
    Post epoxy, tape on the rim to hold filler used for the gaps along the end of the deck.
    IMG_0173.JPG
    Bow, I will grind away excess filler tomorrow leaving a clean edge
    IMG_0174.JPG
    Aft portion
    IMG_0176.JPG
    Tomorrow will be light since I have preunderways for Seydlitz and making a DE hull. Maybe cut and glue in Barbettes

kgaigalas, Beaver and SteveT44 like this.
  15. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

Your a ship building beast Kevin.

kgaigalas likes this.
  16. Beaver

Yeah, can I like leave a hull with you and pick it up three weeks later finished? :D

NickMyers likes this.
  17. Kevin P.

Thanks guys, I still have 2 hulls in the que, and rivadavia, and two hulls on the way from down under, so you might be able to slip one in line and I probably wouldn't notice haha.

I cut Barbettes today and installed them. Back around New Years I took rough measurements of the real ship to make sure I got the barb heights correct. The forward turret is only 5/32" scale in the front, but the aft turret was about 7/16" I think which should help get the stern guns over the 1/8" rise in the deck from the gun to the back.

I also spent a while dremeling the filler. I did a rough, 'close enough' cut today that I might come back to in the future. Here is the bow. The lines on the ship are pretty nice
    IMG_0177.JPG
    Above, it's smooth-ish
    IMG_0178.JPG
    I decided to add a second layer of 1/8" ply to help hold the Barbettes in place since there will be a lot of gun to support. Here are the bow pieces, symmetry is over rated
    IMG_0179.JPG
    And aft turret
    IMG_0180.JPG
    Epoxied them together, epoxy kicked fast with the 90 degree weather outside today
    IMG_0181.JPG
    And bow. I made a series on pencil marks to set the height, I think they came out as desired
    IMG_0183.JPG
    Work will be on hold as the fleet sorties to Mings this weekend, then minimal time next week with classes starting again and Charley's for Memorial Day. darn battling taking all my time. Fortunately I've made it to the stage where I can do a bunch of small tasks when I have a bit of free time. Next things will be gun construction, gun mounts, pump mounts, and rudder servo mounts.

18. Kevin P.

Unfortunately I had to battle all weekend so progress resumed today. Worked on rudder servo mount and deck magnets. Used a brad point bit to drill the holes, ended up having the perfect size bit that made very clean holes. Here is a shot of the layout, going with 4 magnet sets on aft piece and 6 on the others. This is my first time using this deck hold down method, but I like the magnetic tape on my Seydlitz deck so I decided to use the little rare earth magnets for this boat.
    IMG_0184.JPG
    Close up of holes
    IMG_0185.JPG
    Also made the rudder servo mount. Very simple, just 1/8" ply that anchors to the two rudder posts and holds the servo. Using BC gears, I mounted the big one to a servo wheel. No shots of the alignment today. Used fiberglass mat to reinforce
    IMG_0186.JPG
    Side view, minimalistic
    IMG_0187.JPG
    I also press fit in all the magnets using a channel lock, worked out very nicely. I used electrical tape under each one to catch epoxy, but I will fill everything in from the underside with the boat flipped, maybe tomorrow.
    IMG_0188.JPG
    Nice flush finish
    IMG_0189.JPG
    I will do the deck pieces later, since I will have to make sure I get the polarity right for every magnet since getting them in was slightly frantic. I laid out the magnets throughout the ship so I could pick them up one at a time which worked well.

I might get some minor work done Thursday, then I will be off to Tennessee for Lagan at lancing.

19. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Such horrors have befallen you! Should we start a GoFundMe?

20. Beaver

Is that what that is? I thought it was rubber strips. That's kind of cool, will have to keep that in mind.
    Build is looking good!