USS Missouri Build (IRCWCC)

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by Kevin P., Nov 29, 2016.

1. kgaigalas

kgaigalas Well-Known Member

I had some issues also with my N.C.
    I had not gotten it to speed yet and my Triples are much better now.
    I wish I had been more help at NATS.
    Hope we can battle soon !!!!

2. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

I got it from Strike, looks like they pulled it from their site though.

Ralph Coles also has made Iowa hulls in the past, he still might be making them on request

3. rcaircraftnut

rcaircraftnut Well-Known Member

I was afraid of that. Oh well. Maybe I will come across a used hull before fall.

4. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Must have sold out their stock of them

5. buttsakauf

buttsakauf Well-Known Member

They did. I had one on order but was too far back in line.

6. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

I have a Iowa (Swampy hull) that was completed by my daughter, and her boy/girl friend, Marc/Nikki, long story made around 10 years back. It was battled once, never used again, and gutted for other ships. Has hull and superstructure, and outer shafts installed. Was going to take it to Nats and put in up for sale if anyone is interested ahead of that. Really don't want to try and ship it, will be expensive. But can bring it to one of the battles. Bru, Statesboro, or Nats. $150

7. rcaircraftnut

rcaircraftnut Well-Known Member

I will take it. I live in Oklahoma and drive a truck for a living so shipping is not an issue. I will just get a load through of drive out on a weekend and come get it.

8. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

Kevin, are you moving gun config to 3 duals for 2019 NATS?

9. Kevin P.

Yes I typically run it with one stern gun pinned. I’ve had a hard time getting the stern guns to be effective with the length of the deck and overall trim of the ship. I’ve also not tried again with a large axis fleet, just the little boats up north

10. Anvil_x

Anvil_x Well-Known Member

On that subject, while going toe-to-toe with the Yamato with a similarly outfitted platform seems to be the best way to address them, would it be reasonable or feasible to consider using some sort of coordination in order to
    1: isolate the Yamato
    2: fix her in place (block her way with less valuable combatants such that she remains separate from the rest of the axis fleet)
    3: allowing the Allied major combatant to close with and decisively engage
    4: then interposing the forementioned lesser combatants between the duel and the rest of the axis fleet, ensuring the MO can do their job and extinguish the vermin?

would that be too complicated? would it just be better to have the rest of the fleet operating on a "if you get the chance, do whatever you can to help the MO"?

11. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

good luck on getting team members to work in conjunction at NATS. :)

WillCover likes this.
  12. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

....if it was that easy.

It wont be just one yammy... how about 3 or 4 minimum. With two Iowas to take them on it is not so simple. Especially with a dozen hungry Nagatos wanting to turn your bow into a strainer while the lone two Iowas try to cripple one maybe two yammys.

Your more than welcome to build one with us and help out.

13. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

working on that issue.....

14. Anvil_x

Seriously? what were the fleet compositions at NATS this year? are the allies just sucking for major combatants?!

15. thegeek

thegeek Well-Known Member

11 boats up and one yammer disabled, and they still lost Monday by 28,000.

Management at its finest. I think they through it just to make it flag no flag next year.

16. thegeek

Building a Yammato isn't as hard as battling it. Done it for 13 years straight so I know.

Just getting it in and out of the water takes skill, and strength. Servicing it is another matter, everthing is more effort.

17. Kevin P.

Come on now, the Allies only were down 19,000 after Monday...

Back to the original question, Yammers will go wherever they want, largest displacement on the water gives them that ability. As other have alluded to, Axis teamwork is typically very strong. So even if overall the allies have more boats, Axis stick together better and gain immediate-vicinity number superiority, so you don't fight one at a time. They also protect their weak better. The captains in general build very good boats and battle them well, they also select boats with very good characteristics

To combat Yammers, first step (and continual step) is to stern gun the $hit out of them. They are one of the only Axis billboards on the water, shooting stern guns at the other ship classes will tear up the superstructure, deck rim, casements, and stringers, but do very little battle damage. A well-captained cruiser should be able to dump the full load of ammo into the side of a yamato. Allies typically have a lot of stern guns too

If the Iowa are getting involved, it comes down to having two that can work really well together, support each other. A lone wolf Iowa has a much harder time pinning an axis ship down. An Iowa can work well in conjunction with another allied or two by serving as a wall for any axis ship except a yammer, especially on 5. With that, many axis ships are 24 sec while only a few Allies. Whoever selected the ship speed/unit cutoffs 30ish years ago did a great job for the axis

Individual ship maneuverability/acceleration is a large factor as well, one that my boat struggles with. It takes some power to get 50 lbs moving. Acceleration can easily dictate whose guns are on target and who is just receiving. My current issue is a sort of time delay between forward and reverse. There isn't a full delay, but the brushless setup isn't responding as fast as my brushed setups respond. I've tried changing ESC settings a few times and feel like they are as good as I can get them. I just ordered lower kV motors so my throttle setting can be higher, I'll test them out whenever hobbyking gets them in stock. I'm not sure that a 500 can brushed motor would have enough power/torque to work well (open to suggestions)

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
    rcaircraftnut and Beaver like this.
  18. thegeek

"Wahh wahh wahh wah wah" kind of like a peanuts cartoon. Same old song.
    Kevin all Iowa needs is a little Jap shipwright and some money.

Kevin P. likes this.
  19. Anvil_x

Okay so.... wow. that's not fantastic. the building-a-MO trainwreck ain't stopping at this station for a long time to come, but it seems that the huge elephant in the room is the lack of teamwork. Gaining local fire superiority and force protection... that's kinda what I was expecting as the baseline. Guessing a lot of the allied captains have a John Wayne complex to work out.

So a Lower kV rating will allow you to run the motor at higher RPM? Will you be changing your prop pitch to go with the higher turns? I was getting a TON of cavitation with the 40 degree props I had, but once I switched to 25 degree pitch and ramped up the RPM, my boat accelerated cleanly.

20. Kevin P.

Typing about teamwork only goes so far, as in it doesn't go anywhere. There might be a few John Waynes, but more red-shirt ensigns, and other types. Really not a forum discussion, something to be sorted out by the captains that show up to a battle

I wont be changing prop RPM, just motor operating characteristics (operate in a different range on torque/speed curve). General continuation of the iterative ship building process