USS Nautilus

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by Captain_K, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

150 PSI will get you about 3 inches of forward movement. You will ram the ship before the BB hits. And to be clear, NO torpedos. It has to be BB's.
    Reloading of guns from the deck is easier than reloading of air (usually means you need to crack the deck seal)
    Plus, spurt guns are not so great as the o-ring does not constrict all the BB's so the last batch tends to roll out the barrel

2. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

You are better off with this group : http://www.subcommittee.com/ for your son. Warning, gets very expensive very fast...

NickMyers likes this.
  3. Rob3869

Rob3869 Member

Thank you for the website, man does it have a ton of info. We really appreciate it.

4. Rob3869

Rob3869 Member

I checked out the website you sent me, man is it cool. Kind of funny looking at the pic of the guys driving their submerged submarines!

5. Captain_K

Captain_K Member

Insofar as the cannons go the old school geek breech works slightly better for spurt guns. I'm actually working on an inline double o-ring breech using a compression coupler. One o-ring at end of magazine, one o-ring at beginning of breech. Trying for a selectorless 3-5 rnd burst. Im also thinking of going with a bolt down, gasketed deck which is only remoed for major repairs / cleanouts only and go with a cut out in the bottom of the hull for access to co2 bottles and batteries. I can get a "hatch" that is 1.75" wide and 12" long which will lie flat. Its not exactly the way her hull was, which was very slightly curved, but i think IRCWCC allows for non scale alterations below the waterline as long as the overall volume of the ship is not altered. My design will allow the gas system and batteries to literally slide out of holding cradles once the hatch is open.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  6. Rob3869

Rob3869 Member

That sounds like a great engineering principles. Reminds me of the Deadliest Catch when they overhauled the Time Bandit and removed and inserted her engines thru holes they made in the side of her hull.

7. Captain_K

Captain_K Member

20170120_175233.jpg 20170120_174923.jpg Here is most of her internals in the locations where they will reside: not in the picture is the servo for the cannons (i need to get a 3rd small one) the cannons themselves (still yet to be built) and the second motor. The receiver and servo distribution box will be in the conning tower which will be completely sealed and waterproofed. The valves and firing servo will be astern of the three 3.7v 4000 mah batteries (the big black thing). Batteries, servos and running gear are almost the same weight as co2 system and forward servo: all told I'm just under 2 lbs not including hull, linkages and cannons. Magazines are going to be vinyl as they will need to be slightly "s" shaped If i can get my hands on one, I'll put a mini 0-200 psi guage on forward side of accumulator. (Copper expansion tank)

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  8. Rob3869

Rob3869 Member

Nice, looking good!

Definitely a beautiful piece of engineering.

9. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

I think you will find that scenario battles are few and far between. Also, the idea of running a sub (with no bilge pump) as a convoy will be impracticable. You will have almost zero reserve buoyancy and a few drops if leakage will quickly send it to the bottom. As an engineering challenge, a very worthy endeavour though.

10. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

i would ditch the accumulator. you're going to need the space it eats.
    the general view on those proboat ESCs isn't very good either. You can likely find something smaller and better.

11. ish311

ish311 Active Member

i have a pro boat and the reverse is non existant or stupidly hard to get to activate. have to double tap reverse rapidly for it to activate. forward is just fine however

12. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

I have that particular model of ProBoat esc, and the forward/reverse work fine, no double tapping. Reverse just happens to be 50% of forward speed, which isn't necessarily an issue.

13. Captain_K

Captain_K Member

Ill look around for other esc's. But that one has been used by me alot for testing, its already waterproof and i dont mind the 100% forward 50% reverse fir a sub. Reverse will only be good for slowing down and turning. Going backwards over 50% will suck her stern down uncontrollably. How do I prevent the cannons from blowing liquid co2 without the accumulator?

14. Captain_K

Captain_K Member

Main deck, conning tower and cannons are being built this week.

15. absolutek

Have the nozzle end of the co2 tank pointing upwards.

16. Captain_K

Captain_K Member

No can do, at least not if dont want her looking like a 1950's ICBM prototype... there is no room to point the tanks upwards. So far the accumulator is working well and does not take up critical space. All things concidered I think she is roomier than i had envisioned.

17. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

I can't tell from the picture very well, but is that a rock-the-boat lite regulator from Palmer Pursuit? A few of Palmer's regulators are designed as secondary regulators ONLY, and cannot handle straight CO2 pressures. Check the manual and his catalogue to make sure you have a model that can handle CO2 pressure. Having seen one of Palmer's secondary regulators fail when used as a primary, I would not want to see someone else make the same mistake.

18. absolutek

sorry, they need to be angled upwards. not pointing straight up.

19. mad dog

mad dog New Member

if u r going to use spurts u only need one16 gram cartrage I can fire one spurt and stil have enough gass to emty anf fill my ballast tank about 6to8 times so if u dont have a ballast tank u can get about 3 to 4 spurts. u do have to tilt the up about 10 degrees other wise it will freez up

20. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

going to a single 16gram would also save you both length and height from your gas system, since you can eliminate that funky T-elbow thing, and probably a few of the other fittings in there.