USS Nautilus

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by Captain_K, Jan 18, 2017.

1. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

Yeah, dump the ProBoat ESC. To big for this application. Get the RobotPower Wasp. Best brushed micro ESC bar none!

http://robotpower.com/products/wasp_info.html

2. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

I hadn't realized you were truly using it as an expansion tank.
    Allowing liquid to pass the regulator (which seems likely every time your sub goes nose-down in your displayed configuration) effectively establishes an unregulated low-pressure side and is a safety issue.

3. warspiteIRC

warspiteIRC RIP

Torps! Not in the IRC but some big guns used to allow it.

4. Captain_K

Captain_K Member

It is a Palmer regulator but I checked with them extensively when I bought it a few years back and its good to go. They specifically said that 12-16g cartridges were what they had in mind when they made those regulators.

5. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

Have you measured the weight of the components you have in the picture, and if so could you share? I'm starting a similarly-sized vessel and could use that info for planning.

6. Captain_K

Captain_K Member

Here is her stern: rudder and rear dive planes in place. For obvious reasons the stern planes will be permanantly fixed and pinned in place. I had to move the planes 1/4 inch forward of actual scale location for durability purposes. 20170129_160811.jpg 20170129_160718.jpg 20170129_160658.jpg 20170129_160639.jpg

Beaver likes this.
  7. Captain_K

Captain_K Member

1 of 2 prototype cannons and its proposed location on starboard side. You can see where the barrel is going to end in torpedo tube well. I attached another image of the real deal. 20170129_155416.jpg 476954503.jpg 20170129_155531.jpg

dietzer and Beaver like this.
  8. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Interesting gun. How does it work?

9. mad dog

mad dog New Member

looks good but don,t be suprised if the stern dips under first when u hit the throtel

10. Captain_K

Captain_K Member

The cannon works just like any other o-ring cannon, but with 2 o-rings. 1 on the outside of the barrel in front of the flare and one between the flare and coupling. I found that by lubricating the bb's with plumbing valve grease, I can crank the flare nuts tighter than I could with dry bbs and it creates a very steady stream of rounds. For weight reduction purposes I'm going to drill the flare coupling on the magazine side, remove the nut and ferrule from the tee and sweat the magazine together. The tee will end up with a 1/8" barb on the back and the deck fill will be drilled and tapped for a 1/4" brass plug. Both cannons will be mounted in "wet" wells and when the deck is removed they will lift right out for tuning.

11. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Interesting idea. Instead of using a T for the fill port, you could save some weight by using a 90 and drilling and tapping the back for the air port.

12. Captain_K

Captain_K Member

Im going to have the forward dive planes articulate so I should be able to set down force to keep the front at same plane as rear. Im not looking for deep diving, I want her to be at "periscope depth" at full throtle with planes down.

13. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Gonna have a hard time hitting the waterline with those cannons if you fire while surfaced. If you're mounting cannons in torpedo locations, put 'em in the underwater torpedoes. I'm not as familiar as I'd like with the practical operations of spurt cannons, but regular Big Gun cannons work just fine underwater, albeit with limited range.