USS North Carolina

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by CURT, Jun 4, 2012.

1. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

I cut out slots for the stuffing tubes to get an idea on where the tubes will exit with the props attached on the other end. Semi put together loosely the supertructure to see how that is going to look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Craig

Craig Active Member

Drip.... Drip..... Drip.....

(drool collecting on floor)

3. Miller7D

Miller7D Member

Looking good so far, Stok, as usual!

4. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

I been researching sites of the NC and found a lot of cool pics and interseting shots of the rudders and skegs. I will be attaching skegs to this beast.
    I been looking at the pic on Strike's page of the NC which helped me figure out the supestructure. I actually found pieces that I thought was missing.

5. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Will be working on NC this evening. I have printed of references from Strike and Model Warship Gallery which is invaluable for detail references. I found my diagrams for skegs and will get pics from the Montana build on the skeg setup so I should be well armed for that part of the build.

6. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Been off for over a week, Relative birthday parties, flu, lost my wallet, busted my glasses, and 2 dogs to look after and take care of them for a few more weeks. Plus physio appointments to get my scapula realigned and working normally and everything else in between such as lawn and garden stuff. But alas.. I was able to work on NC this evening. Good news is I have the skegs temporarily installed and lined up nicely with the stuffing tubes and I have the both rudders installed and paired up with the props and skegs. Just need to finish up the skegs then seal them inside and outside of the hull, secure the stuffing tubes and rudder posts. The skegs took me no time to build this evening as I used an entirely different approach to them which was far easier than the way I built mine for Missouri which was labor intensive and hard however I learned a lot since then and viewing the Montana's skegs and the Wisconsin's I was able to come up with a simpler but no less effective way to install them and secure them. I will take pics before I seal them up for good. Everything is lining up very very well on this section of the build.

7. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

After a long layup due to Life events I managed to get in some work on NC's skegs. I finished building them and have the main stuffing tube attached to them inboard. They fit nicely into the underside of the aft section and poke inside at just a nice slight angle. I can still adust the angle of the tube to align with the motor gearbox mount so I don't expect any issue there. I have everthing lined up exactly where I want it so no the next step ist to get the prop shafts lined up with the gear box and mark it. Then seal and waterproof the skegs with additional resin and fiberglass cloth. The skegs came out much nicer than my Mo's with less work but will be just as strong if not stronger and more streamlined than my Mo's skegs. I am trying to take my time on this section and get it right and make it work well. Then I can just solder the inner tube sleeves on both ends and grease the tubes and install the prop shafts. It will only be then just positioning inside the hull and attaching. Then I can begin the rudder install and Pump install.

I'm going with the internals first then deck and barbette before I start sheeting.

8. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Looks Like I will have some time at the Yard this evening so I will try to get pics of the skegs at this point and continue with the propulsion section of the model.

9. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Ok didn't get there last night because I became suddenly ill with stomach cramps and well you just don' t need that detail. Still recovering now but hope to get at it sometime this week.

10. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

No, really, we want details!! What was it like?! :) :) :)

11. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

We want the gory details. From the kitchen of victory to the throne of defeat. o_O:woot::whistling::laugh::eek::D

12. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

OMG LOLZ :)

13. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

I had to leave work early today as the flu bug followed me there too. So I sat today and this evening out till I recover.

14. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

I made a little progress last night but had to bale out due to severe allergies and sinus congestion, not being able to breath and see doesn't help in an enclosed space. I managed to get the Motor mount gear system installed where I wanted it and trimmed the stuffing tubes to fit and slot inside the gear mount housings. I filed the stuffing tube hull openings to allow more adjustment on the port skeg and I was able to correct the alignment. The Motor mount sitsnice and flat on the hull bottom . I will see if I can direct connect the prop shaft to the motors directly without a universal collar and dogbone in the connection. Normally I would put one in between the motor mount gear housing and the stuffing tube but the alignment I achieved is so good it doesn't require it. Best of all I have the motor gearbox ahead or further aft towards the stern well clear of the #3 barbette so mounting the triples is not going to be an issue here and installing the pump dead center behind the mount is not going to be a problem either which will be excellent for water channelling and water evacuation. The skegs came out very well and superior to what I made for Missouri.

I think I will use Goop to secure the motor mount system. It's super strong , waterproof and a great vibration absorber.

Once the skegs and shafts , rudders and drive props are in I will work on installing the outer shafts and install drag props.

So far this build is relativlely easy. The NC kit is a very forgiving kit build. I highly recommend one.

15. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

The skegs are tacked into place and the inner stuffing tube sleeves are temp insterted into the stuffing tubes to allow me to line everything up. I installed rudder stuffing tubes and tacked them in temp for now to allow adjustment. So far it it's looking sweet. The rudders are positoined perfectly with the props and I got both props lined up perfectly with each other. NC should maneuver extremely well with little rudder throw. Next step is to apply resin and cloth to the skegs but first I will solder the inner sleeves then permanetly bond the stuffing tubes to the inner skeg slots, smooth with putty , sand and resin over the putty and paint. It's been an extremley busy summer for me so I had little time in the yard. I did take pics of the set up so I hope to get them posted using the wife's laptop as my computer is toast.

16. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Here are some photos of the skegs...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

18. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

19. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

I removed the stuffing tubes and sleeves and soldered the inner sleeves on both ends and reinstalled the stuffing tubes back in thier slots in the skegs and through the hull. Next step now is to fiberglass the skegs and seal with cloth/matt, putty , sand and paint. . Tubes will be greased. and the prop shafts connected with props attached.

20. Craig

Craig Active Member

.... just shatnered myself.... thanks Curt.