USS North Carolina

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by CURT, Jun 4, 2012.

1. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

The receiver with the extension plugs installed. Old Futaba FM radio. Will do for now but a 2.4 GHZ radio would be better.

[​IMG]

2. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Throttle switches and servo removed from the hull.

[​IMG]

3. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Putting stuff away as cleaning up begins. Pump installation will commence another day.

[​IMG]

4. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Looking towards the stern. Still more work to do but getting close.
    [​IMG]

5. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

This is the radio for this model.

[​IMG]

6. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

North Carolina and Missouri side by side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

8. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

9. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

10. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Anyway will be at work for 12 hr shifts for the next few days. Monday will be off hopefully I can get at it and finish it up inside.

11. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

Hey Stokes...did you figure out the "left-right vs up-down" issue w/ your Radio? Sounds to me like you had it in Mode 2 (correct for Left-stick throttle) but plugged ESC into wrong socket on receiver. Should be #3 for Left stick up-down (#4 is rudder aka Left stick right-left). I'm sure you know all this, but I thought since it's a public venue, it would be helpful to some of our newer members to mention

12. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

I should know this. I rechecked each socket and still had the same issue. Maybe I am missing something here. I will try again but this time take out all of the extensions and go one socket at a time. I think I had the ESC plugged into the wrong socket. . I will plug it into the #3 socket or on this old receivor throttle is # 4 I Think. Not sure. I tool dipped over the markings of each socket before I marked them on the cords plugged into the receivor so I probaby got things upside down. I will do what you suggest. I am sure it will fix the problem. Thanks for checking in . Glad you did. Embarrising to forget things like that. :blink::whistling:

13. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Tested the Esc again and this time successful.Motors are back in the model and I have a location for the ESC in the hull at the end of the water channeling in the aft section of the hull.The receivor will be mounted forward beneath B turret.

Do you guys tie the pump into the main battery supply for the drive or do you keep the batteries for drive and pump seperate? I was thinking of just giving the pump it's own dedicated battery supply .

14. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Also I was able to switch control of throttle to the left stick on the TX.Thanks for the tips !

15. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Almost have the electrical completed.So far so good.Esc and the Radio plus pump and rudder systems are working.

16. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Electrical system completed. Tested motors through the ESC via control from the TX. Successful. Pump activation successful. All servos under control and no issues. So I have 2 6v 12amp each for 24 amps. Pump on dedicated battery 6v 12amps. Just some additional work left to finish the job. Hope weather is fine this Thursday for the first sea trial shakedown. Will get video of the sea trials.

17. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Bumping up the day for NC launch.She is going out today for sea trials.Will take pics and video.I will post pics maybe late this evening andprovide a report.

18. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Had a very successful launch day for the North Carolina. Issues. I forgot to secure the dummy shafts so I lost one of them and nearly lost the other. Need more ballast in the bow to trim it out. That is it. Nothing else to report. Had no other issues. The ViperMarine 40worked like a charm. I had instant reverse. I enjoyed having the variable speeds to play with. Next run will test the pump out. I think I will try to run the ship on 12v 7 amp battery and see what it is like. Been a long time since I used a 12v battery. See how that works with the speeds and ballast. But other than that just a few more details to put aboard, deck latches flags and crew. Then this project will be finished. Some internal stuff like the radio box to seal up maybe or just leave as is for now. Seal up the remaining sockets in the receivor. The rest have extensions plugged into them . I already posted pics and video to FB today. Will post pics here later this evening. Currently loading them into my computer.

19. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Here are the pics. ..enjoy.

Getting the wiring ready.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Everything connected ready for table top testing.

[​IMG]

I thought this would be enough for ballast but turns out I need more weight up here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]