USS North Carolina

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by CURT, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

You scored with 3 geen chicks at the same time? I am unworthy :)

2. Hovey

Hovey Admiral (Supporter)

I wish my NC looked that good!

I'm curious, why three blade props? I have always had better acceleration with four blades on mine. Top speed should be the same either way.

3. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

3 Blade you can increase rpm and less cavitation. You can accellerate up to speed much faster. Oh and the props came with the kit. Most ships of the period used 3 blade props. I like these props and they should work very well for this NC.

4. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

No problem Captn Jack. The weather has been phenom here so not a lot of time on it but I hope to get the resining done while the weather is hot this week. I plan to add 1/4 braces to the inside of each rib and seal so that I can use them as anchor points for the internal armor and provide additional strength to the ribs. ,Waterchannelling is going in next and I need a warm day to resin properly and ventilation.:laugh:

5. Hovey

Hovey Admiral (Supporter)

What real battleships did and what we do are kinda unrelated due to scale. But I understand using what you have and wanting things to look pretty (three blades props do look much better).

6. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Back at the NC . Took time to orient myself back into the shipyard as there are other non boating projects ongoing there so things have been moved around. I think this this is the first summer I have not had time to work on projects in recent memory.
    I managed to start the first phase of waterproofing the skegs and the main deck hatch underside. It's dry know and i need to sand the bits of resin drops and lumps and smooth it over. I will then apply fiberglass cloth to the skegs inside and outside of the hull, sand and putty smooth and then coat with epoxy resin.

7. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

More work on the NC last night. Continued with waterproofing the skegs inside and outside of the hull. Filled in missed areas of waterproofing in and around the subdeck .
    Be a few more evenings before this is complete but finally moving forward and it's looking good. My experieneces with MO's skegs has helped me a lot here.

8. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

I cant wait to see some pics of the progress.

9. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

I like to take pics of the build after cleanup. Right now resin drops and lumpy sections and spilled resin overthe sides don't make nice pics to look at. Hope to have it cleaned up this weekend so I can update the pics.

10. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

I also can't wait to see the pics after you clean it up. All your other boats look amazing.

11. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

I cleaned up the exterior of the hull of resin droplets and spillovers. Cleaned up around the skegs any excess resin. Cut out large strips of fiberglass cloth and I resin them onto the skegs and the hull surface areas around the base of the skegs . I need to trim away the excess cloth material and sand away any bumps. After that I will putty over the cloth and seal with thin coat of resin to seal it good. That will complete the outside . For the inside just small layer of cloth will be applied over the stuffing tubes entering the hull inside. Will cloth around the base of the rudder posts. I haven't had a lot of free time to work on NC this entire summer so I have lost time to make up.
    The skegs are turning out real nice. Can't wait to complete them and take pics of how they look.

12. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Skegs are about 90% cleaned up of all the cloth residue. I hope to apply putty to smooth it over and then seal it with thin resin later this week. Cleaned up the subdeck of excess residue and bumps.

13. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Applied the first coats of the Bondo to the exterior of the skegs. It coated very well and dried very fast. Just need to sand it smooth. Finished cleaning up the resin bumps off the top subdeck rail.

14. Tugboat

Bondo. Feh. Make sure it gets well coated with something to waterpoof it!

15. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

I havent had any issues with Bondo glazing putty. When i use it on the hull it does get painted before it sees water.

16. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

The bondo I use on the hard areas of the hull harder than regular spot and glaze putty. Course it's sealed with paint or resin depending on the area applied . I have had no water issues with it.

For the edge seams of balsa panels or rib seams I use the spot glaze and for the balsa if there are goughes in the panels I use spot glaze to seal it and fill in the gaps.

17. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Sanded the skegs and refilled in again. This time it came out much more smoothly and evenly. When it dries a light sanding will fiinish them up. Then I can finally move inside to get the rudder posts setup. Back again after a lengthy layoff. Good news is my Mother survived her pneumonia and heart attack and is finally back home and well. Life may get back to semi-normal for the time being.

18. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

Glad to hear your Mum is doing better...

19. Tugboat

Good news about mum! So, are you coming to Nats? :) :) :)

20. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Unfortunately no because I will be attending a wedding as best man this September so that puts any plans for Nats out of the question as I have only 2 weeks vacation time so the Mrs and myself were planning to leave after the wedding and go on a cruise.