USS North Carolina

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by CURT, Jun 4, 2012.

1. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

2. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

3. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

4. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

5. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

6. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

7. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

I finally get a day to work on the model and it went to hell with my wife being sick, doctor appointments ,and picking up relatives here and there through out the day cut into my building time today. This evening is a stay at home night so the wife can recuperate and so I will finish paneling the NC this evening. I am trying to get it ready for a float test this week if possible.

8. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Hooah! Bring it down to Georgia and float-test it in our state-of-the-art test basin adjacent to our climate-controlled workshop :)

9. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

That sounds so great. I can dream about that.

10. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Finished sheeting the port side of NC. Next- Sand and silkspan .

11. Jay Jennings

Jay Jennings Well-Known Member

I must say Curt, the NC looks awesome! You are doing your normal outstanding job.
    But, just think how much better the ship would look if it wasn't Allied ;)
    J

12. Craig

Craig Active Member

wow what a beautiful ship.

13. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Thank's Jay. Well this ship can fly the Jolly Roger and go by the Roger's guidelines if you know what I mean. I haven't had the time to get the balsa silkspanned yet. My evenings and now weekends are becoming booked full of activity. I hope to get at it soon. I am dissappointed that I couldn't get it ready for a July launch date but looks like Aug is more doable at this point. Sucks . I was hoping to get it ready for Captn Sparrow's birthdaycoming up this week. Good news I have plenty of silkspan and dope to finish the hull and the paint colors.I expect a great float test and sea trial. I have blown up pics of hte superstructure using the photo from Strike of the NC kit completed in it's basic form which gives me a great view of the superstructure parts and how they go together. I am anxiously waiting to get this model on teh water while the weather is good. I want to get great photos and video and give a performance report. Ihave crewmembers awaiting to get to their posts on this model.

14. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Update: Trimmed the excess edges of the balsa sheets on the hull. Applied several coats of dope over the exterior of the balsa sheeting and then silkspanned the hull. Doped the exteriro a couple of more times. Then I applied a base priimer coat to bring out the imperfections and gaps . I sanded the balsa edges down and puttied the edges and seams along the ribs. Both sides are prepped now for sanding.

I hope to sand the hull tonight and repaint with another coat of primer. Once Done I will mark the hull for the waterline . The hull is ready for a float test at this stage now.
    I think I will go with painting the hull camo as I won't have time to do a float test this week and I need to keep moving forward on this project. However I am confident that the trim will be correct and the model will float at the correct waterline.

I was able to reassemble the superstructure and I took more pics of the layout to see where all the parts go so I wouldn't forget. I will post pics tonight of the hull at this stage.
    If I can get at the hull for an hour or 2 each night this week I should be ready to launch this model within a week or 2.

The NC kit is a very nice kit and I highly recommend this to anyone.

15. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

I have 3/4 of the hulll sanded clean. Just a small area to do and one touch up before I can apply another coat of primer and then the camo goes on.

I tried to post pics last night but ran into problems. Hopefully have the pics up tonight.

16. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

I was able to find the photos and will be posting them this evening. I will have a little time this evening as it is a City Holiday.

17. Craig

Craig Active Member

Chomp Chomp Chomp Chomp.... sorry chompin at the bit here. :) I am home tonight Curt if you wanna give a shout to chat or Skype.

18. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

pics or it didn't happen!

19. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

20. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member