USS Omaha Light Cruiser Class (Fast Gun/Treaty)

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by mike5334, Mar 31, 2010.

1. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Very Very nice indeed.

2. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Very Very nice indeed.

3. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Very Very nice indeed.

4. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

Mike got the hulls today, just a great job. Plan on starting on mine in a day or so, I have to finish resheeting my Duke first, so that its ready for the next battle. I did not see Franks plans in the box?

5. djranier

Just adding to Mike's Post for the build. Don and I cut out most of the Super pieces today, but have done nothing else with them as of yet. I will put the 2 guns together tomorrow, and start working on the super.

I did make up some stuffing tubes, went with 3/16 tubes, and SS 1/8 shafts. They look pretty good, not oversized, but I still need to put the outer shafts in.

Here are a couple of pics, with the inner ST's in, and rudder I made up installed. I used a DesMoines rudder, and cut the rudder down to the proper size, with 1 inch props, they look just right, and they are slightly bowed in.
    I did cut too much out of the hull for the first one, but the second went in much better.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It looks like the guns will go into the upper stern casemates, the lower casemate is so low, that fitting the guns in due to the height of the guns looks to be just about impossible.

6. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

That is just gorgeous looking.

7. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Mike, did you get any of my emails about the gearboxes? Not sure which email you check regularly (I have several, too lol). There are two gearboxes(i found some extras in the shop) in a package that will get there Tuesday. You will need two 33-tooth 48P gears for each, plus the driving gear that goes on the motor. I'll post the tracking number when I get home this afternoon, I've been at the in-laws' house this weekend.

8. djranier

Worked on it for 7 hours today, but feel like I did not make much progress, all I got done was the motors mounted, was hoping to get the guns made up also, but spent to long on the motors. Was going for the lighest weight possible. They spin nice and free, also installed the rudder linkage to the rudder. I plan on putting the rudder servo in the very back between the guns, so it is acessable since the back deck is fixed into place and does not come off.
    Side view of motors in place.
    [​IMG]
    Top view
    [​IMG]
    Not the prettest, but functional.

9. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

Looks great Dave! The twin motor setup will probably be the simplest way to go on those ships.

Looks like you moved the rudder forward another 1/2" or so from the mark. That should work fine too.

Grrr! I just noticed ... forgot to take out those cross pieces in the water channel!
    Clark, I read your email this morning. Thanks! Also got a notification via email of your RC Naval Combat message, but the message never showed up here.

10. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

I have to admit that I have not been able to keep up on this build. But I am fascinated by this neat little ship.
    I can't wait to see one on the water.
    Mikey

11. djranier

Hi Mike, I plan on cutting out the rest of the peices in the cross channel. I weighed it today with everything in it, and it looks like its around 6.5 pounds with the superstructure peices. So it should meet weight with no problems.

I did a bit of rear hull mods last night and today, I like simple superstructures, and really like the look of the stacked Casemates, so I cut up the hull a little, added the lower rear casemate back in. That way the rear Super is much simplier. I also got the guns together, and mounted, along with the upper rear deckhouse.

I still need to decide where I want to put the rudder servo, Mike looking at my pictures, Frank thinks sideways, just behind the guns, any idea's?

Guns are mounted, 1 ty wrap holds a gun in place. The barrels are 5 inch long, will need to cut those down to between 2 to 3 inch. 15 deg off center, with 10 deg down angle, looks like they will hit right aft of the stern. Should do belows with the 10 deg down angle.
    [​IMG]
    Side view of gun mount, stacked casemates.
    [​IMG]
    Rear facing view showing rear deck removed, it slides back, and fits under the rear deckhouse.
    [​IMG]
    I'm tryin to get it ready for the battle in Savannah weekend after next, 11 days to go before we head out.

12. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

That looks tailor-made for spearing people in reverse by accident. :(

but totally awesome nonetheless

13. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

Nice install, Dave. Looks like the layout is coming together nicely.

Kinda looks like I missed the little cut out on the rear corner of the upper deck where the lower casements are located. Not sure how that happened ... was thinking I drew up the hull sections to set that. Good catch. Heh. Sometimes it takes another set of eyes to see the things the builder misses.

I was thinking of sliding the cannons towards the bow if possible until the interrupters were in the center of the ship right over the dogbones. That would probably let you keep most of the barrel length yet only leave a couple inches sticking out of the casement. The superstructure could hide the breech fitting if a opening was made in the rear deck hatch.

The servo could go behind the interrupters towards the stern and lay flat like the Gloire's servo installation you saw a while back.

14. djranier

I looked at moving them forward, but then you cant get the down angle, and you need 8 deg or more for belows.

15. djranier

I plan on rugging along side, do a quick turn stop, then blast away. Will try to advoid backing too much, because with the stern it has, after you ram someone, and get stuck together, their boat may take it down too.

16. Tugboat

Would that mean your team gets penalized sink points for you and the boat you ram? :)

17. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

You have to keep the barrels 5" long, they just look too funny.

18. Renodemona

Renodemona Well-Known Member

They look like curb feelers, I say you keep them but make them super shiny with fake bling.

19. Tugboat

I'm glad Finster ain't here, I can just hear him ranting about guns 'close to the waterline'...

I think they look cool as-is, don't cut them! :)

So if someone comes screaming up on you from behind and impales themselves on a gun barrel, ripping a big hole in their own bow, can they call 'Ram!' on themselves?

ps- cool mount for the back end of the magazines. I can't wait to see it in action, even though I'm axis ;) Those are one of the cooler light cruisers out there.

20. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

You could always make the cannons look like oars :) Row row row your boat