USS Omaha Light Cruiser Class (Fast Gun/Treaty)

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by mike5334, Mar 31, 2010.

1. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

Finally figured out where and how to mount the rudder. After looking at it for around 15 mins or so, I noticed the crossmember I put in to stiffen the stuffing tubes, the servo looked like it would fit right on it, and between the guns. I went with my trusty home made aluminum mount, its light, strong, and takes less space than a wood one.

Took me around 2 hours to make up the mount amd install it. All held together by 2 screws, and screwed down to the cross menber with countersunk brass inserts.

Top view of rudder servo mount. It is below the deck, but I will need to have a small S bend in it to clear the back deck.
    [​IMG]
    Side view.
    [​IMG]

Tomorrow I plan on looking at where the bottle and regulator support will go, and where the solenoids will mount. I plan on using a single 5 amp Nimh pack in her since I can change the packs every sortie, but I may have the weight to run 2, so I will plan on fitting 2 for now.

2. djranier

Got some more work done on the Detroit the last 4 days, went to Rick's today and worked on it for 7 hours. Put in the water channel, waterproofed the insides, sheeted, installed the internal armour, plummed the guns. Looking good, still hoping to have it ready for next Weekend battles.
    [​IMG]
    Camera always says it focused, but the dang pictures still come out blurry at times. Next shows it without the pump in it.
    [​IMG]
    With the pump. You can see the bottom of the deck, I'm having to cut some of it away to get it to fit, since the deck is just a little to low to clear the top of the pump.
    [​IMG]
    Forward, with the bottle, and battery in place.
    [​IMG]
    Now I just need to get the 2 firing boards, receiver, Speed control, and pump controller in it. Looking at using the space between the deck cross member, and the front side of the board holding the solenoids in place.
    With the way she sits now, her weight is 7 pounds 4 oz. With everything in it. Tomorrow I will float test her, and see if I can use a second battery or not, before I begain the wiring.

3. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Looking good, Dave... you gonna use it instead of the Iron Duck?

4. djranier

The Admiral Benbow is ready to go, will bring both, and if the Detroit is totally ready will battle her, if not just run it around some. I like the weight difference already, I may just have to go with her all the time if she is effective.

5. Tugboat

Interesting layout on the Kips... do you have one 1/16" line running to the magazine and the other to under the interruptor pin?

6. djranier

Allied secret, learned from the Grand Master Axis himself, JL.

Couple of pics with her in the Allied test pond, she rode level, looked like it will be just right after adding the superstructure.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I also still need to add the outer shafts.

7. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

I'm very interested in what the weight will be when it floats at the 1/2" freeboard waterline.

8. djranier

She is at 7 pounds 4 ounces in the tub, thats with 2, 5 amp SC Nimh's in her. Added the stacks, used a model rocket tube, guled a peice of scrap wood to one end, and filled it with spray foam to stiffen them up, then cut to the right length, and sanded to a 4 deg angle on one end, to give the tilt back. Came out nice. Starting to add some superstructure.
    [​IMG]

9. djranier

Had to work this evening, so it will be close if its ready or not, leaving Friday morning for Savannah. I did get some more of the superstructure work completed after I got home. Tomorrow I plan on finishing up the internal wiring hopefully, and maybe some more superstructure work, but the basic structure is in place.
    [​IMG]
    Turrets are so small they are funny looking.

10. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Looks sharp!

11. djranier

I posted the latest picture of it on the Allied MWC list, seems like some of the Allieds dont like it. Was told I'm creating controversy, and they dont like my rules interpertation, so it was asked if the rules need to be ammended to clear up my rules interpertation.

Hum, ship has 12-6 inch guns, 8 in casemates, 4 in turrets.

Rules 5E states.

5. Cannons must be placed in turrets or casemates occupied by the main battery of the ship modeled. Main battery cannons in a turret must exit the turret from the face of the turret. The turret barbette must be of scale size and shape; it cannot be modified to increase the down angle of the cannon. The turret must sit flat on the barbette. No cannons may be mounted near the waterline or below the waterline.

Looks like the first sentence is pretty clear to me. Ship has 12 guns mounted in turrets and casemates, does not say they all have to be mounted in the turrets. Just don't know anymore, sorry to say getting tired of it all.

12. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

One guy didn't like it and I don't think he knew the ship class had main guns in casements like that.
    You do things different then most people. Twin rotating turrets, duel sidemounts in a Scharny, trip bow guns, started useing the Titan pump motors, machined better pump outlets, that hat, build a new ship every other month...
    Dave adds interest to everything.

13. Anachronus

They have the same problem with the casemate mounted guns on the SMS Scharnhorst class. To many of the rules are "customary law" and the actual meaning of the words is ignored.

To me your interpretation is the correct one.

14. HorribleHarry

HorribleHarry Member

The Omaha class is one of my favorites! I read those first few pages of the Squadron/Signal US light cruisers book over & over. Great choice of boat & great choice of cannon placement.
    Harry

15. Hovey

Hovey Admiral (Supporter)

I like what you are doing, almost makes me want to build a cruiser. People have talked about arming main battery casemates for years. You just seem to be the first to actually do it. I see absolutely no rule violations with how you mounted your guns. Keep up the good work!

16. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Very nice. Just wait until people start calling those guns "kickstands".

17. djranier

Got the pump and outlet installed, also added the outer set of shafts. Still need to add forward lower casemates, 6 barrels, since they are all considered main guns, they need to be on the ship. Also the forward tripod mast, stern mast, and plane catapults. And internal wiring. Will not have time to finish it by the weekend it looks like, bummer, work keeps getting in the way.

Made and installed a new 1/2 unit outlet, real happy with it. Tried close to what Greg talked about. Took a solid peice of brass a bit longer, drilled out one end at 7 deg for the output side, then the other end at 5 deg for the input side. Then drilled the very center out at 3/32 for a 1/2 unit outlet. That way it should act as a nozzle, since the pressure on the output side is lower than the input side, the lower outside pressure will actually help pull the water out, and the water will expand into the 7 deg sloped output, just like a nozzle does in a rocket motor. I made the 3/32 as narrow as possible, around 1/16 of a inch. I can put a peice of 3/32 rod in, it does not move side to side at the center, but can roll around the outer edge, and stick out the other end doing the same thing.
    Latest pics
    [​IMG]
    Stern view, outer shafts, and outlet added.
    [​IMG]

18. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

Dave, can you bring a 1 and a 1/2 unit outlet to the battle this weekend?

19. Tugboat

Dave, as an Axis captain, and a (nearly to a fault) by-the-book person... for the record I find no fault with your interpretation of the gun locations. Even though I can feel the pain of the belows you will give me with tose guns even as I type. Don't sweat it.

20. Anachronus

As a Scharnhorst skipper you are equally discriminated against.