USS Omaha Light Cruiser Class (Fast Gun/Treaty)

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by mike5334, Mar 31, 2010.

1. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

Let me know how those outlets work for you... What I was going for on the nozzle, wasn't so much a nozzle as a venturi, the outlet was an attempt to recover some of the pressure drop seen at the smallest diameter of the venturi, which should improve our performance....

2. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

I should also note that you should be able to do steeper than 5 degrees for the inlet side, as it is easier to accelerate fluid losslessly than it is to decelerate it. I am using between 15-20 degrees at the inlet (half the included angle between both sides)

3. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

Hi Mike, I dont have any made up right now, but will see what I can do, takes about 1 hour to make 2 of them. The Detroit will not be ready for Savannah, still has 4 or 5 evenings worth of work to do on it, and I still have to paint the Dukes new sheeting, which I will do this evening, and still need to spend some time with the wife, so she does not get too crabby, LOL. So I will try to get them made up for you tomorrow evening hopefully. You want my newest version?

4. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Dave, you got the special tiny one for Othar packed already? :) :) :)

5. djranier

Mike got your made up. What are you asking about Clark? LOL. Yep, I just put Mike's together with yours. All 3 are in my toolbox as we speak. The only way you will not get it, is if I forget my toolbox.
    Made up some new equipment for my boats, can anyone guess what they are used for? Peroxide powered Torpedoes for the Detroit maybe.
    [​IMG]

6. djranier

Ok, got everything packed for the battle, so went back to work on the Detroit. Superstructure if as fully assembled as it's going to get, just need to add the 6 barrels, seal and paint it. Then finish the internal wiring which will not take to long. Just dont have the time to finish before the battle this Sat, were heading out tomorrow morning.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Tugboat

You gonna finish it at the hotel Saturday night?

8. djranier

Nope its staying right where it sits, will finish when I get back, 2 or 3 more evenings should do it.

9. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Looks good. How well do those torpedoes work?

10. djranier

They are 2 ft long, and 3 in in diameter, so pretty well I would think.

They are anchors for my tent. Take them down to the water, fill them up, hang one on each corner, end of the day, just empty them out. Save's weight that way.

11. Tugboat

Dave, you are too clever by half :)

12. Anachronus

13. Tugboat

Doh? That was a compliment. Dave and I (and everyone else) at the last Savannah battle (and the Brouhaha) saw the awnings getting blown around by wind. Dave actually started thinking about how to remedy this. His solution makes me sit here and think 'Now WHY in the heck didn't I think of that?!' Because Dave is cool like that.

14. Anachronus

DOH to my own obliviousness was my meaning.

15. Tugboat

D'oh!^2 on my obtuseness!

16. Anachronus

This brings to mind two of my favourite sayings:

1. Warped minds think a like.

2. I have to laugh at myself so I can laugh at others.

:)

j.

17. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

I have to say this, Dave that is one fantastic looking ship!! You have made the guy here in ohio green with envy and kicking himself for not finishing the one I built for him last year! I also totally agree with your gun placement, you followed the rules to the letter , those against it just dont know the ship thats all. I would love to hear more as to how she handles on the water.
    Buddy

18. djranier

Just got back from the latest battle, went very well, sank just about everyone else, and I was the only class 4 and above that stayed afloat all weekend. I hope to have her ready by next weekend, if not the weekend after, when I go to Rick's. He has a great canal behind his house we test in.

19. djranier

Well the Detroit is just about done, need to finish up the wiring, and she will be ready for Rick's this Saturday. Then I think I will put a 1/2 unit pump in my Faa De Bruno, and use her as a gunless block ship, to guard the targets at Nats. Will be hard to shoot around it.
    [​IMG]

20. djranier

Well I finally got her wired up to at least drive her around. Still need to finish up to gun wiring, but thats not too much. She went forward and backwards pretty good. First time I made a turn she layed right over on to her side during the turn, and the end of the bottle, and battery shifted to the side, and she just stayed on her side, so I brought her back to shore laying completly on her side, did not sink, but was getting low in the water.

Will need to cut down on rudder throw a tad bit for sure. I had two batteries in her, and a heavy regulator. So I will hook up the Strike Reg, and do a little rewiring to just run on one battery. But she is like a wild stallion, super responsive to stick movement, will require alot of practice getting used to her. I kept over correcting, by ocounter steering, but was having a problem making small enough rudder movement, just used to the Iron Duke's slower speed I guess.