Sold! USS South Dakota 1/144

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell and Trade' started by jcollins, Apr 25, 2018.

1. jcollins

jcollins Active Member

I am posting this for Phil (pba). He is selling the SoDak for $400 and will not ship. He lives in Huber Heights Ohio and is will to drive 50 miles to meet with you. Most of the super structure is 3D printed and is ready to sheet and arm.
    IMG_4902.JPG IMG_4903.JPG IMG_4904.JPG IMG_4905.JPG IMG_4906.JPG IMG_4908.JPG IMG_4909.JPG IMG_4902.JPG IMG_4903.JPG IMG_4904.JPG IMG_4905.JPG IMG_4906.JPG IMG_4908.JPG IMG_4909.JPG

Attached Files:

bsgkid117 likes this.
  2. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

Looks good, only thing I see on that class of ships the inboard props are in front of the outboard props, so the scale is not right. But in the IRC everyone that battles the SD class all have it that way that I have seen.

3. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

You are correct! Inboard props should be in the "tunnel".

[​IMG]

4. djranier

Well of course Lou, I would not have posted it if I was wrong silly. ;) Notice 5 blade on the outer, and 4 on the inner, must have had a reason, not sure the reason they did..

5. Anvil_x

Anvil_x Well-Known Member

guessing they'd need to be able to really lay the hammer down on the outer props if she took rudder damage in order to maintain course or maneuver

6. rcaircraftnut

rcaircraftnut Well-Known Member

Your killin me smalls. No I will resist the urge and not buy another project that I don't have time for.

7. dietzer

dietzer Admiral (Supporter)

Beautiful work! Wish I had the $400 right now...

Oh well, someone will get a gorgeous boat!

8. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

Two of the class had 5 blades on the outboards and 4 blades on the inboards. The other two of the class had 4 blade outboard and 3 blade inboard. Apparently the class had vibrations issues when all props were the same so they mixed the blade numbers to try to alleviate it. IMO the outer skegs were for torpedo protection of the inner props.

A better pic

[​IMG]

9. Lou

Found the notes that addressed this on the North Carolina:
    Although North Carolina was launched on 13 June 1940 and commissioned on 9 April 1941, she did not go on active duty because of acute longitudinal vibrations from its propeller shafts. A problem shared with its sister Washington and some other ships like Atlanta, it was only cured after different propellers were tested aboard North Carolina, including four-bladed and cut-down versions of the original three-bladed. This testing required her to be at sea, and the many resulting trips out of New York Harbor to the Atlantic Ocean caused her to be nicknamed "The Showboat".[50][51][52][53]

10. Lou

Interesting:
    The South Dakota class ships used a tunnel stern. The two outboard propellers were enclosed in massive skegs (giant fins), with the propellers at the end of the fins. The inner propellers were mounted in the tunnel between the two skegs. This allowed for hydrodynamic refinements that increased the hull volume towards the rear of the ships and also provided anti-torpedo protection making it harder for a single torpedo hit to damage all four propellers.

Someone buy this beautiful ship!

Anvil_x likes this.
  11. Anvil_x

Wow, where did you find that gem of info? and yeah seriously if I had the time and cash right now I'd drive down there. Alas, I *just* moved across an entire continent and the Forest Service is asking me to do overtime all next month to finish a timber cruise in the Great Divide District.

12. djranier

The NC went back to the shipyards, and her skegs were beefed up, and different props were tried, it did reduced the vibration issues, but never solved the issues completely. I did not know the SD's suffered from the same issues, it must have not been as bad as the NC class.

A very nice build, but at 26 sec, nothing more than a target.

13. Anvil_x

the smaller target profile and increased maneuver are too small as to be irrelevant?

14. Lou

Captain is trying to sell his boat, I suggest we take this discussion to the main board.

NickMyers, rcaircraftnut and Anvil_x like this.
  15. pba

pba Active Member

bump

16. HorribleHarry

HorribleHarry Member

Might I ask, does the owner have the plans available for 3D printing the super? Thank you.

17. RcShip556

RcShip556 Member

Will you ship? I am very interested

18. Sinkazuki

Sinkazuki Active Member

Is it just me or does everyone get all tingly when Lou posts technical stuff?
    Randy

19. djranier

I don't know about tingly, but I look and make sure my fire extinguisher is close by, when he turns on his boat, lol.

rcaircraftnut likes this.
  20. RcShip556

RcShip556 Member

Hahahaahahahaha