USS Washington

Discussion in 'North Atlantic Treaty Combat Fleet' started by sinkin321, Sep 17, 2008.

1. sinkin321

sinkin321 Member

Took the old girl down off the shelf and through it in the water today. Ship worked great with no repairs at all. She was a bit fast ( 21 seconds) but with a resister on it that would be it for combat. as for the guns, they are all here and would only have to be mounted in place. This gives me a two ship option for battle. If I have read the books right she was a 28 knot ship of 46,770 tons according to "Fighting ships of the world" this would be a 6.5 unit, 33 second ship. I should have it finished for the next battle in Oct.

2. HMCS

HMCS Active Member

I think that should be 6 units 32 seconds.
    One other thing to keep in mind is with Treaty, class 4 and above don't get the extra 10% and must float at scale waterline.I know this year we're not worrying too much about stuff like that, just something to keep in mind.

3. HMCS

HMCS Active Member

Like IRCWCC/MWC, in Treaty standard displacement is used to determine ship class.

4. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

Yep, she's 6.0 units and 32 seconds. HMCS is correct that we go by standard displacement to determine units like the fast gun clubs. NC should be a really solid ship, especially if a captain were to take advantage of the rules which allow them to have 2 rotates and to split a unit. IIRC, the Washington would be legal with 75 round rotates in A and B turrets firing into the SAME quadrant. A pump and dual 50 round sterns would round out the armament. That's a good deal of firepower.

Another interesting idea is building the hypothetical version as ordered with 12 14 inch guns in 3 quad turrets. What's that mean? Quad sterns, with dual rudders to get em on target...or quad bows if your heart desires.

5. sinkin321

sinkin321 Member

Ok: The Wash now has teeth. guns have been made to fit and installed. ship has been painted and motor slowed down to 32 seconds on the dot. pump outlet has been sized to a full pump and ship ran for two hours at Uniacke with no problems. All that is left to do is test fire the guns.

6. Gettysburg114th

Gettysburg114th Well-Known Member

Good job John. Washington should do very well. Do you have any pictures posted?
    Thanks,

7. Craig

Craig Active Member

Any pics or video John? Like to see the old girl's wake!

8. Chris Easterbrook

Chris Easterbrook Well-Known Member

Interesting rule about allowing two rotate cannons in the same quadrent.

9. sinkin321

sinkin321 Member

no digital camera, still using film but I'll see what i can do

10. sinkin321

sinkin321 Member

went and worked on the old girl for a bit, teeking guns and such, she is battle ready and will run time trials with roberts on Mon. the two my even battle to test all systems.

11. Craig

Craig Active Member

Sweet! Hope someone has a digital camera, we need pics and video up here!

12. sinkin321

sinkin321 Member

USS Washington has a new home the boat left me and was pasted on to its new owner last night. In return I now have the New Jersey ( oh god help me why?)

13. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

The New Jersey?!? I thought we were talking about how much easier small ships were to transport. Better get a pick-up! [:D]

Bob

14. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

Geez John you seem to be collecting boats at the extreme size range. the HMS roberts and the the New jersey

15. JasonC

JasonC Active Member

yup i gave her up and swapped the jersey for the wash

16. sinkin321

sinkin321 Member

Jersey will be a show boat as in not done for combat (yet) but will look the part. When we do shows it will be at the table but not at the lake(yet) and yes I am getting a truck. Just for %$#@ and giggles though i put the ships in the car when I brought it home and I can get Jersey/ shinano/ Pretoia castle/ roberts/newf/ 2 tool boxs and radio box in the GOE and still be able to see out the window.

17. Jay Jennings

Jay Jennings Well-Known Member

John, you should have been a Submariner!
    J