USSR Tashkent Build

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by Rayne Single, Oct 11, 2015.

1. Rayne Single

Rayne Single Admiral (Supporter)

Hey guys new on here.
    have been working on my new destroyer an USSR Tashkent, also known as the blue cruiser of the red fleet.
    I am planning on arming forward turrets with 3/16th twins in line with big gun rules for the AUS-BG.
    Will post some build photos soon but just getting this up first.
    will keep you posted

Nick Park likes this.
  2. Cannonman

Cannonman Ultimate Hero :P -->> C T D <<--

Welcome Rayne, looking forward to this build!!

3. Rayne Single

quick post. the hull i received was second hand and already had the windows cut out, rudder post and prop shafts in place. which is good because it saves getting messy. This hull was setup by the previous owner to mount the torpedos. My preference is to go away from torps and mount the forward twin guns.
    the reasoning for this is with torpedoes you shoot 1/4" salvo every 30 secs, with 3 torps per side. this equals 19.05mm of steel per 30 sec. where as mounting both front twins is 3/16" every 4 sec. with 4 barrells this equals 18mm of steel every 4 secs. and in 30 sec can put out a whopping 135mm/ 30 sec.
    this also gives you adjustment that your first couple of shots may miss but once you get dialled in there is no saving the poor transport. I'm building this as a nice agile transport hunter, no depression on the guns as if they are fixed height = less variables in shots. also i can't fit depression servos.
    this pic shows messing around with ship layout and leaves a nice big space in the front for the steel throwers. next job is to skin and waterline test to see if i need to move any components. i haven't put the float in yet but it will be going between the rubber servo mount and the drive shafts.

Attached Files:

4. Rayne Single

update:
    sheeted and water line tested the boat with all electronics and equip (except for the guns). sat about 10mm above water line at the aft of the boat. and a good 30mm at the bow. i also test fitted the guns with only the forward turret for height and clearance. with everything looking promising for fitment and weight requirements, i have moved onto decks and making the super structure. his is made out of aerated neoprene. this structure has been hollowed out on the inside and will have my water proofed receiver in the rear smoke stack. also the top and outlet of my bilge pump as the total height of the pump is taller than the rear deck and that is the purpose of the long super structure. my float will be the enlarged rear turret which will be recessed one layer to minimise the risk of it being shot out.

Attached Files:

5. Rayne Single

been a bit laxed on the update on things as i have been out of town working...
    after sheeting the boat and running water trials i managed to through my lovely brass props into the bottom of the local arboretum dam leaving them to gather mud on the bottom of the blasted 4 mtr deep pond. had a lengthy wait to receive some new robesch ones from the uk and in that meantime decided that i wanted to re hash my motor mounts and rudder mounting to save some space and weight more importantly. i managed to find these great servos on hobbyking that were electronic with metal gears and had a nice torque rating to handle pushing the rudder around and handle any mis treatment dealt out to it. i was able to rehash the servo mount that made it alot lower and brought the mounting point off the base of the hull instead of a rail off my cap rails. all said and done i received my new props and by that had happened she was rearing to go. so for a retry on the last sea trial (almost a month ago) i had managed to work out any leaks and managed to save some top heavy weight. at the present time she is sitting in my fathers shed waiting for her forward twin 3/16 turrets to be finished, tested then fitted in to the small but spaceous hull. i also managed to get my hands on some russian air force insignia stickers and stuff and now my forward deck has a lovely red and yellow star of the mighty USSR adorning it. once i get these guns up and running i should have some great shots to put up.

6. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

Look forward to seeing the pics

7. Rayne Single

so long time no post. i have had a new hull made for me and proceeded to fit it out transferring most things from the old hull to the new hull. my guns have been finished and fitted and tested. very exciting.
    i have sheeted and speed tested the boat. tested for water line with the guns fitted.

8. Rayne Single

9. Rayne Single

Beaver likes this.
  10. Rayne Single

as you can see i used my old tashkent hull for target practice.

11. Rayne Single

hi guys, quick update.
    i took my tashkent along to our agm in sydney in june and managed to give the destroyer a run after my dunquerke packed it in. i found the barrels on my cannons are slightly too long as the boat would list with the guns.
    now i have bilge keels on this boat but think i need to place some weight out on these keels to minimise the roll on the boat.
    i did manage to get a shot on a tramp steamer it was high on the aft but none the less managed to get one.
    will post photos after our sortie next weekend.

Beaver and NickMyers like this.