V-106 aka SMS Cheapstoff

Discussion in '1/96 Battlestations' started by Tugboat, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women.

Yes....that will do![:D]

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Got the port side hull plating glued to the ribs :) If I didn't have to run I'd have gotten starboard on, too. There's always tomorrow!

3. Tugboat

I forgot to do this earlier, but I found a copy of the piece of paper I drew the V-106 frames on in 1/96. Does anyone want a copy? They fit on one piece of 8.5x11 with room to spare. No keel drawing yet, I'll redraw it tomorrow night at work.

4. dietzer

dietzer Admiral (Supporter)

Tugboat,

I'll take a copy if you don't mind. Looks like a challenging build! Maybe sometime I'll be up to that...

BTW, where did you find the plans for this?

Carl

5. Tugboat

The paper model online (can't remember the link address right now, need coffee). Thus far, it looks okay. I'm doing it as light and cheap as I can, so far it's scrap balsa, CA glue, and will go on to include some of those microservos from my Spektrum that are too small to use for other boat stuff, and the RC car parts&radio. The torpedoes will be almost last.

6. Anachronus

Webwookie posted the originals in 1/144 based on a CAD model he had made of the paper model. He also has plans for the Russian Orfey class DD. A bit bigger than this one. Both of his plans sets are 1/144.

Tug,

I would like a set of the 1/96 drawerings when you get them done.

And some torpedoes! Lots of torpedoes!
    [:D]

7. dietzer

OK, I think I know the site you're talking about. I think you mean the Digital Navy website, which has free plans of the V-108 for download.

Visit this site

I'll download these when I get home tonight.

Many thanks!

Carl

8. Tugboat

I saw wookie's plans, but he has a real copy of Acrobat, not just the reader, so his plans were in a format that I couldn't easily expand, so I expanded the originals on a copier. The only advantage of my scruffier copy is you can print all the ribs in 1/96 on one sheet of paper.

Find them at: http://www.rcnavalcombat.com/rcnavalcombat/FileManager/ViewFile.aspx?id=2001

9. webwookie

webwookie Active Member

Actually the real copy of Acrobat was on my computer at work; the exporting/printing to .pdf though was carried out using the software feature that cost me $150 on top of the CAD software itself when I originally bought it [:I].

10. Tugboat

Good progress made on the hull today, tomorrow I hope to be fiberglassing! Also, the springs for the torpedo launcher came in :) When I get the prototype fabbed up, I'll post some pics.

11. webwookie

webwookie Active Member

Can't wait to see it.

12. Tugboat

Got delayed today, mom dragged me to an estate sale. Woulda been a total loss except mom bought me a bandsaw and a router. Go mom!

13. dietzer

Here, here!

America needs more parents like that!

Carl

14. Tugboat

Yeah,I tried to talk her out of it! Doggone Mom, always wanting to help :) I can almost forgive her for bugging me about future grandkids.

The torpedo launcher is being covered in a separate thread in the Weapons/Pneumatics forum. No pics yet, but the current design penetrates 1/32" balsa without a proper torpedo nor any tweaking, at 8" range. I will be posting pics and details on Monday (working the weekend, don't'cha'know...)

15. Anachronus

D'oh! Months later I think of a solution to the scaling issue for the superstructure. Experiments are being planned.

16. Tugboat

Very cool! I may have to find time in the midst of nursing school to get off my arse and work on V106...

17. Anachronus

I am going to be using the disposable ribs/glass hull scheme on my Mowe.

18. Tugboat

I'm almost done with clinicals... 2 weeks to freedom! (at least until mid January)...

Projects to do are:
    Commissions:
    -1/144 Ioan Zlatoust (if I misspelled it, I'm tired :)
    -1/144 Alaska (in wood) (still fixing the mold, this guy really wants one, and I respect him not wanting to wait :)

Personal ships:
    -1/96 KM Bismarck
    -1/96 V-106 SMS Cheapstoff
    -1/144 Evstafi

Effie is the last 1/144 ship I'm building new for myself for a while. I'll do commission work, but I want to build Battlestations! to include having loaner boats. Loaners will be CLs, CAs, or BCs, something easy to build.

But SMS Cheapstoff will get done soon so I can drive it around my pool while I work on Biz.

19. Anachronus

Sail on mighty Cheapstoff!

20. webwookie

webwookie Active Member

I've been swamped lately and haven't had the time to drop by the forums for at least a couple weeks so I may have missed it, but I have to ask when will we see photos of SMS Cheapstoff on the water?