V105-V108 WWI German Torpedo Boat

Discussion in 'Ship Plans' started by webwookie, Jun 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Are you working outside? Or hoping for rain so the wife doesn't make you mow the lawn? :)

2. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

No wife or lawn. Work area is not completed so lacks proper cooling, and the wiring is not complete anyway so I have to essentially work out side. Rain and electricity don't mix well.

3. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

now thats the idea man, remember "they call a ship a 'her' because it costs so much to keep her in paint and powder" *Chester Nimitz*. And it doesnt, i dont remember ,much last time i put a wet finger in an electrical socket, ha ha ha.

4. Anachronus

Thought it is a TINY hull. The plans just don't do it justice. Which is not to say I am not having a blast with it.

Destroyer plans are off the back burner again.

5. Tugboat

Yeah, but I think it'l bee a fun ship, even though it'll be a one-shot wonder (for mine at least). When you've steered her next to a target, push the throttle to full ahead, and a linkage from the throttle servo trips the torpedoes. The pump will be always on. So the tiny lil ship can run on a cheapy 2-ch radio. The other thing is the spring powered hollow rod torpedoes will let in lots of water :) Altho I expect the effective range to be 6"-1' :) That's what TBs are all about... ballz-out bravery charging the big guys :)

6. Anachronus

That sounds like a neat idea. I would not have thought of linking the torpedoes to the throttle but tactically it makes sense.

Run under the depression of your target's guns and blammo.

Part 1 of that equation is the tricky bit.

7. Tugboat

Indeed :) That's why once the torps are gone, your throttle is already at ahead flank ;) Discretion being the better part of valor and all that...

8. Anachronus

Those torpedo guns sound interesting too. Hollow rods? Make the mechanics of the whole affair easier I should think.

9. Tugboat

Don't think that I've given up on powered torps; i just thought a v.small ship with easy armament would be a nice 'so ya wanna play Battlestations, eh?' ship. Spring-power and recycling an old RC car seem to be the way to go. Old RC car has gears and shafting, throttle, 2 servos (still working!), radio, and whatever else I can salvage :) The penny-props will save another $16. I'm hoping to get in under $20, not counting the car (had it in the closet at the parents' house).

Maybe next will be a cheap DD :)

10. Anachronus

Perish the thought old boy. I did not mean to imply that the powered torpedo project was abandonware. I just think that for a spring loaded torpedo, the hollow rod sounds like a very workable idea.

On the small is beautiful side of things I downloaded the plans for the Bisson from the French archives. May be a bit more workable than the V-105 series. It displaces almost 900 tons!

11. Tugboat

Are you proposing a TB fight? :) How fast is Bisson? For that matter, I'm trying to find good numbers on V-106's speed. I have one source stating a speed of around 28kts.

12. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

Dont get too worked up here Tugboat [:D]

13. Anachronus

That is the speed I have seen for the V-106 as well. It would not be much of a fight, judging from the past Franco-German history. ;)

I was just thinking that something like the Bisson would make a good low-end allied TB.

14. Tugboat

I think a good low-end ship for each side is a good idea :) Maybe after the TB we can find DD's.

15. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

Hey tug, do you have any pictures/links to the spring loaded torps?

16. Tugboat

Nope :) Still building. I'll get a scan of my working drawing tonite. It's pretty dirt-simple. Servo pulls down on sear, releasing torpedo :) The torps themselves are going to be 1/4" O.D. tubes, with a pointy cap. A couple of holes drilled in the sides near the tip will let water flow from the hollow end (hopefully in the water outside the hull) into the enemy ship as the cheapy-TB runs away.

17. Anachronus

Conway's shows 30 knots for the Bisson. 28 for V-106.

18. Tugboat

Bisson's a big girl. 4 tubes, it looks like. only 2 per side, but still...

19. Anachronus

I think the term is "reubenesque". She does have almost twice the displacement of the V-106.

If we want to go a bit later the MN did have some 650 tonners built in the 1930's.

20. Tugboat

Well, I'm going to get V-106 running around the pool, with functional torps... then finish the 1/96 ship that I cut 20 ribs for today... hehehe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.