Vancouver Island, Sound off!

Discussion in 'Independents' started by Reckless, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Reckless

Reckless Active Member

okay I know theres a couple of you on here atleast... and I keep hearing of a few builders in Victoria. I KNOW a few builders in Nanaimo area that would all for it. If we can actually find a place to do it, and actually get some real movement forward. I know there some off the beaten path spots in ladysmith, but have to check out what it'll take to actually get to them (hiking with a big ole rc boat on your shoulder ain't much fun).

a few years ago while attached to the Nanaimo boat group we nearly had the agreement to battle at the long lake inn, but possible bb bounces/skips out past the 'safety' area set up around the dock the manager had to bow out (he was really looking forward to it thought it was a great idea, they already use the model boat group as part of their advertising)

So I know your 'here' and 'out there' .. lets get something a touch more organized working here :D

2. Time Lapse

Time Lapse Member

Ok, I am here
    You have a warship ready already to go, I have never seen any RC Boats on ponds or lakes around here but they have ponds and a few lakes, The RC Floatplane fly ever Monday morning ,< if the weather is ok > at Quamichan lake, But a facebook page to get the word out, , What name you think would be cool for the Group, Club

3. Reckless

Reckless Active Member

I have a fair collection of RC boats... but no combat models... yet... I had an atago that was done as a scale rc model built from a combat hull at one point .. but the combat idea never green lighted so I never bothered trying to make it a functional combat boat (its sitting on a friends shelf at the moment awaiting repairs and refit)

I've put feelers out in the local RC communities I know of (mostly scaler/crawler trucks) and theres a few interested if we can put something together.

I'll have to get the oppertunity to check out quamichan lake ... just wondering what the depth/accesibility and general traffic is like for safety.

as for a club/group name... would you perfer all rc boat encompassing or just combat warships? ... and are you fine with the IRC based fast gun rules?

staying within irc fast gun will open the possibility to washington cascade members comming up here and our 'group' being able to go play with them should the oppertunity arise

4. Time Lapse

Time Lapse Member

5. Time Lapse

Time Lapse Member

Are you building any ships ?

6. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

When I lived in Victoria BC during my Naval Training Days I had with me the IJN AOBA RC combat model. It was totally scratchbuilt except for the BB cannons. Never battled her there but I did bring it to the local RC boat club there and I sailed it across Victoria Harbour successfully. I used to sail it in the local park there and the main river that runs through Esquimalt. I managed to get 3 other people into RC boating but the combat side of it they were not vested into. Still though had great times sailing there.

rcaircraftnut likes this.
  7. Mad_Modeller

Mad_Modeller Active Member

Afternoon gents,

Just joined this site.Have been lurking for years. Have a Graf Spree hull just getting things together to start.

CURT and rcaircraftnut like this.
  8. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

If you guys get a big itch we battle down here in the Seattle area every month.