Vanguard

Discussion in 'North Atlantic Treaty Combat Fleet' started by Bob, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

Did anyone build a Pottle/Coles Vangaurd hull and take a photo of it on the water? What was the weight and what was the freeboard? Any pictures you can post here?

2. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

Bob,
    I'm not aware of any completed models using my Vanguard hull. Up to the end of 2009 only 5-6 hulls had been produced. I made one hull for myself but didn't sell any. Before the mold was sold to Strike Models it had been loaned to Steve Hill who made 2 and sold 1 and to Ralph Coles who sold 2 or 3, all of which went to the US.
    The hull Steve sold was in this area and recently for sale again. Steve's Vanguard is partly complete but has been progressing slowly and might see action this year or next. I've been even slower. My hull has been cut out, has a fiberglass deck with molded recesses for the 6 Lexan access hatches, plus a set of the lovely Grey Wolf Squadron turrets, but there's been no progress since 2008. It won't be finished until 2011 due to smaller and more easily transportable ships being built first. Vanguard will be a snug fit in our Smart car!
    When I marked the scale standard displacement waterline the freeboard amidships was a little under 2", nearly 2" inches higher at the tip of the bow, but still around 2" aft. I've found that if a model is built to the maximum allowed IRCWCC weight it will float very close to the scale deep displacement waterline.
    Have you bought one of the Vanguard hulls from Strike?
    Bob