vdt prob

Discussion in 'North Atlantic Treaty Combat Fleet' started by JasonC, Jul 5, 2008.

1. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

I think that's a pretty viable set up you described; very balanced between offense and defense. I've never run a treaty cruiser so, your milage may vary, but I don't see anything wrong with it. The cruisers I have battled against all had both bow and stern guns and were annoying pests to say the least. They shot me full of holes and very rarely did I ever get to return the favor.

2. slow_and_ugly

slow_and_ugly Active Member

Hi Scot,
    The Italian Anrea Doria went from 21kts to 27kts after refit.
    This was one fo the rare exceptions since almost every other ship was refit with bulges and/or extra armour which slowed them down.

3. crzyhawk

I believe the QEs slowed down as well. In their WW1 configuration they were 24 knots, I believe (off the top of my head, so might be wrong) they were down to 21 knots after their modernization. For our purposes they would be the minimum fleet speed of 22 knots.

The other IJN battleship conversions I haven't found much data on. Some sources Ive seen list them as faster after being rebuilt, others slower. The Kongos however I know went from 27 knots in their WW1 guise to 30 knots in their WW2 guise.

4. Gettysburg114th

Gettysburg114th Well-Known Member

The Kongo class is a great ship. Fast, well armed.

5. HMCS

HMCS Active Member

I knew there was more ships out there that would be affected. I just meant in our club that Nagato was the only ship I knew of. I don't know if Tom realizes he has to go to the rebuild speed or not.

6. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

I am sure he does. When I first built it I had orginally smaller props.It got the model to speed but it had a stopping and starting reaction time slower than what Tom was used to from his old NAGATO which was a powerhouse for accellerating and stopping with the crudest props that had barely any blade surface area and were just 2 blade if I remember that part of it correctly.It handled just fine though. Tom had me switch over to larger props but it pushed the model a little too fast. When starting forward it would throw up a tremendous wash that would blanket the quarterdeck when goin in reverse or just starting from dead stop to accellerating. Tom was geared down to 12t pinion.He had no ESC or speed adjuster. The model will behave much differently at a much lower speed so this will be a completely different model to handle than what he is used to. i don't know what speed a Nagato under treaty is supposed to do. Hopefull it will still have retained it's maneuverability. PE did retain it when I dropped down from 24 sec to 28 second a 4 second difference in speed reduction just by reducing the props size, without having to change over the drive train system. Should be interesting to see.

CURT
    COMBAT-X
    IJN YAMATO
    DKM BISMARCK
    DKM TIRPITZ
    ROMA-(BABYSITTING)
    HMS PRINCE OF WALES
    USS CALIFORNIA
    DKM GRAF SPEE

7. HMCS

HMCS Active Member

I believe right off the top of my head that Nagato is 25 knots rebuilt, which would make it 35sec/100ft.

8. crzyhawk

My Invincible retained it's maneuverability after slowing it down from 26 to 34 seconds. The only thing I noticed is I couldn't snap the stern around quite as fast to get stern guns on target, but as it works out it was no big deal because the tactics are a little different.

Unless someone is silly enough to follow me through a turn...

Something interesting about my Invincible is that it maintains its speed through a turn very well, and there were several times I'd spiral a faster battleship and end up out running them because they'd bleed off more speed in turns then me.