VDT Update

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by Panzer, Jul 14, 2016.

1. Panzer

Panzer Iron Dog Shipwerks and CiderHaus

Thanks again nick that is fantastic!

NickMyers likes this.
  2. WillCover

WillCover -->> C T D <<--

SPOTLIGHT ENVY

3. WillCover

looking forward to removing them for you Craig!

NickMyers likes this.
  4. kgaigalas

kgaigalas Well-Known Member

We missed you, hope to see you in September

5. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Happy to share. Nothing quite so great as having lots of little bits to get blasted off

Panzer likes this.
  6. Panzer

Please let them get shot up,,,, That means my boat is on the water doing combat!!! Happy,Happy.Joy,Joy:laugh:. Moving in that direction I was troubleshooting a non functional cannon. Kas gave me some Great pointers on what to look for and now it is the hardest hitting cannon on the ship. I had my safety glasses on :cool:and @ 120 psi from my compressor:) it blew threw a cloth:eek::eek:!! and pinged around garage 37 times:eek::eek: before going out the door:whistling::whistling::whistling:! Holy Cr.....P. I think i need to learn how to tweak my other guns that hard hitting! Thanks to Kas for great advice and to Will for the Hipower BBs.
    IMG_0164[1].jpg

WillCover, kgaigalas and NickMyers like this.
  7. WillCover

i still have a picture Strategically placed over a mirror in the basement from doing gun tests:whistling:...will be moving shop to outbuilding in coming weeks:eek: ...the mirror might get accidentally broken:rolleyes: ....7 years bad luck:( or wife pissed about gun testing in house:mad:...hhmm?!?....moral of story be careful:)

Panzer likes this.
  8. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

Port Polar Bear builds great guns.
    Your welcome!

Panzer likes this.
  9. Panzer

thought I would throw a few pics in the mix while i tweeking the guns. I had a great time blowing wholes in the styrofoam. IMG_0164[1].jpg IMG_0165[1].jpg IMG_0166[1].jpg IMG_0168[1].jpg IMG_0164[1].jpg IMG_0165[1].jpg IMG_0166[1].jpg IMG_0168[1].jpg IMG_0164[1].jpg IMG_0165[1].jpg IMG_0166[1].jpg IMG_0168[1].jpg And Fun was Had by Me:woot::woot::woot::woot:thanks to all for the great advice.

10. Panzer

So a little update, I battled VDT at Saranac twice and at Xenia Ohio for the labor day w/e event, and had an absolute Blast!!!:laugh: I have now gotten ready to reskin the VDT and thought I would post some pics of what I'm doing so someone can advise on how to do it the rite way and save me some screw ups. The Casemates have definitely taken a pounding:bang::rolleyes:. I am trying to rebuild them with ABS sheet and fiber-glassing over it. I am also fiber-glassing over all the broken and cracked ribs:oops: and other areas that are damaged. Any suggestions are Appreciated. Reskin 10 16 1.JPG Reskin 10 16 2.JPG reskin 10 16 3.JPG reskin 10 16 4.JPG reskin 10 16 5.JPG reskin 10 16 6.JPG reskin 10 16 7.JPG She has some fiberglass repairs in progress but I am hoping I can have her ready to sheet on Saturday for the build session.:):)
    Craig

11. Charley

Charley Vendor

First bit of advise don't mix ABS and FG resin. You would be better off using Milled fibers 1/32 and poly resin. Make a paste with Resin then work it like a putty in the chipped area. use FG matting and poly to reinforce the backside of ribs/Casemates.

Remove all glue/ paint before doing any of the above

12. Panzer

Does it make a difference if I'm using west syst Gflex epoxy for resin? Where can I get milled fibers?

13. Charley

Charley Vendor

This is my opinion if you use West system your paying to much... back on topic yes you can. I have been around FG my entire life My Grandfather built boats as did my father. I built model Warships :)
    Your hull was formed with Polyester resin. in order for epoxy to effectively bond to polyester it has to be clean and free of contaminates(paint, glue, etc...) the surface has to be scored/sanded(effectively cleaned)
    during the layup/molding of your hull the surfaces exposed to atmosphere with poly produces a film/skin if you were to reapply poly it would dissolve this film and bond. Epoxy will not dissolve anything hence needing to score the surface for a proper bond.

Short answer you can use epoxy and with milled fibers it take a little longer to wet out the fibers but it will and be strong. Take note it takes a lot of MF to a little resin to make a putty also mix thoroughly make in small batches and give some time (10-15min) to off gas the air before applying in sections of your boat.
    this is one link to get you rolling
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-32-fiberg...ash=item3aab8628f2:g:sYEAAOSw9N1Vn8DG&vxp=mtr

Panzer likes this.
  14. WillCover

Panzer likes this.
  15. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

hows the repair coming?

16. Panzer

So the VDT made it to Nats and took a licking but kept on ticking. Started fixing all the stuff that got pounded.
    IMG_0676[1].JPG Out with the old,:confused::confused::whistling::whistling:
    IMG_0675[1].JPG In with the new.:woot::woot::)

I am currently working on the 10 minutes to Victory plan. So looking forward to seeing everyone on the water.

WillCover and NickMyers like this.
  17. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Excellent !

18. Panzer

IMG_0685[1].JPG IMG_0687[1].JPG IMG_0686[1].JPG IMG_0688[1].JPG Battle Ready!!!!:woot::woot:
    Well the repairs appear to be done and it seems to work as it is supposed to. I found a broken wire to one of my solenoids that I replaced as well as repairing my pump which blew out the tube during Nats Night battle:)laugh::laugh::(:whistling:) causing more than just the inside to get wet. I did too! I replaced the props as you saw earlier. and all seems to work well again, guess I will find out at the GLAS Battle tomorrow. If anyone out there has the time you are welcome to come play with us. See you on the water.:D:):woot:
    Craig

WillCover likes this.
  19. WillCover

Panzer likes this.
  20. Panzer

WillCover likes this.