Video Camara....?

Discussion in 'General' started by McSpuds, Feb 23, 2016.

1. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

I am looking at getting one of two video systems for this years battles. A FPV camara, or a GoPro or Sony.

Has anybody got experience with the FPV systems like the FatShark?
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__66582__FatShark_Teleporter_V3_RTF_FPV_Headset_System_w_Camera_a
    nd_5_8G_TX.html?gclid=CjwKEAiAo7C2BRDgqODGq5r38DsSJAAv7dTPcLFEdFML0n7RHE0POwfgpeyCtTzic7oulvs3vH5TzxoCrFLw_wcB

This Sony is on sale today at Best Buy, thinking of picking it up. Anyone have any experience with this camera?
    Sony - AZ1VR HD Mini Action Cam with Remote - White

I am leaning to the Sony... would make great video at the Brouhaha

2. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

3. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

I have used Fatshark products extensively over the past couple years, in both planes and tanks. Not on ships yet. I have no idea how waterproof their hardware is, so be prepared to lose whatever you put on your ship. Fortunately the most expensive part, the goggles, remain on shore.

These videos only give you a bit of an idea what it's like to experience. First, the video lost a lot of quality when it was crammed onto my cheap recording gear, then YouTube placed another layer of compression over that. You can see better IRL than in these recordings. Second, I use head-tracking. I move my head, and the camera matches the move exactly. That is how I'm able to look around in-flight, and it is HUGELY important. A lot of people fly FPV with fixed onboard cameras, but now that I have tried head-tracking I will never go back. I use head-tracking in both my tank and my planes, and I would definitely do the same with any ships. The ability to look around from the cockpit is vitally important for navigating, both for long-range and short-range operations. And the experience, like any VR experience, really is something you have to try in order to understand. Words simply are insufficient to describe it.

That said, there isn't much benefit to having a first-person view in Fast Gun. It's not like Big Gun, where you can link camera rotation directly to turret rotation to assist in aiming. All it does is limit your field of view and the tactical information available to you. Cool? yeah! Helpful? Not really. If you just want to record a close-to-the-water perspective for later youtubing, then one or two of those waterproof action cams is your best bet.

NickMyers likes this.
  4. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

I'd go with a GoPro. I have yet to see any of the imitation action cameras perform as well overall, and that Sony says 'splashproof' on it. I'd hate to test that with a sink.

I would not use FPV in combat for this reason. Complete loss of most of your situational awareness.

5. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

The FPV was just a neat thought... I am looking at either a gopro or the similar... GoPro also has a "Hero Session" that is really small..... will have to research more..

6. ish311

ish311 Active Member

i have floated down a river with a gopro that spent half the 2 hour trip under the water with no issues. the frame is sturdy as well just build an enclosure to protect it from the stray golden bb's

7. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

I have and use the Polaroid camera extensively over the past couple years. Not only is it priced far below a GoPro, it does not need a waterproof case (like the GoPro), will do 1080p HD (like a GoPro), and will easily record 4 hours of HD video. The downside is no data screen like the GoPro, which hasn't been an issue for me since I usually have a laptop available while traveling and a desktop at home to download and edit the video.

+1 for the Polaroid. :)

absolutek likes this.
  8. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 Well-Known Member

Hey guys, Polaroid cube cameras are kind of cool. And I'm looking at getting on of thoses.

9. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

I know FPV was outlawed in MWC, is it allowed in IRC? Or at least using FPV for combat was against the rules. Personally I think it would be AWESOME but no way to drive and fight with a camera in one location.

10. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

I don't see how it would be against any rule in either club. The rules state in IRCWCC rules as follows; E. Cannons: 12. Automatictracking and automaticranging systems for cannons are prohibited.

FPV's do not control guns so they ARE allowed per the rules. Plus I never heard anywhere in the MWC that they where outlawed.... maybe I missed that one, but in the IRCWCC, unless the rules are changed, they are allowed.

They do look nice, but I am not so sure they are a good idea as you loose your perspective of the surrounding area and movements... you may even have a harder time on the water. But the Kewl Factor is definitely there.

11. thegeek

thegeek Well-Known Member

Hey Johnny, love the new look, the chicks will really dig it. And the battle space will get a myopic view.

12. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

new look?

13. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

14. Ironbeard

Ironbeard Active Member

Actually I think the idea of being able to see the combat from the "ship's eye level" would be both AWESOME and very limiting. Think tunnel vision. As for targeting I would suppose there is a way to tie in both the camera and the ship's guns but really, I don't see it as a huge advantage. Again....consider the issue of tunnel vision. Plus how would you hide it in the ships structures so that it didn't take away from the actual scale?

15. NickMyers

Once you have jaunty hats whats a little camera perched atop?

16. rcaircraftnut

rcaircraftnut Well-Known Member

I was also thinking of putting a small action can on board for later You tubing. Has to be waterproof as it WILL be recording me getting sunk at some point. Lol.

17. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

Ben Lee of WWCC has attached a GoPro to the middle turret of his HMS Rodney for combat. Videos are on YouTube and give a really good picture of combat action from a slow BB.

I believe it was Jeff K. Also of WWCC who tied one into a live feed on his VU. He made a special controller case with a screen so he could see where his guns were aiming. Not sure how much more effective he was though.

18. Ironbeard

Ironbeard Active Member

I suppose you could set up a system like they have for the racing quad copters and fight your ship in FPV (first person view) with the huge goggles and all, but I wonder how many folks will get sea sick from the nautical gyrations....that would not be fun!:eek:o_O Those cameras and the support kit are pretty small and light weight. They have to be for the quads. I really don't see them being all that difficult to waterproof and set up. With fiber optics, micro electronics and such today it should be doable. You actually might be able to set a camera up in a ships gun director......hmmmm, that would be cool, but with out an assistant running while you're gunning it would be difficult to aim your guns in FPV and steer the ship at the same time. Back to the tunnel vision thing.

19. NickMyers

I stuck a beater flipcam that i had more or less made watersafe on a convoy ship for a few of our local battles. Narrow FOV but made for a fun perspective to relive a battle from, and watching it sink from that angle was neat. I clipped up the footage and have shared the playlist in the past. If you're interested:

20. Xanthar

Xanthar Well-Known Member

That was awesome!

21. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

Not FPV but looks easy to imbed into superstructure.
    http://www.gearbest.com/car-dvr/pp_314031.html?currency=USD#customer_review