Viribus Unitis Rudder Area

Discussion in 'MWC (defunct)' started by The Prodigy, Jun 10, 2012.

1. The Prodigy

The Prodigy New Member

Greetings,
    I was looking over the Viribus Unitis plans that I have and saw that she had particularly large/oversized rudders. I currently am using the Battlersconnection Dual Class 4 rudders and the scale rudders look much larger than the BC ones. When I looked over the MWC ruleset, it states the following:

4. If a ship has a scale rudder or rudders which have more rudder area than allowed above, then that ship may have the scale rudder area if it can be substantiated, and if said rudder is the scale shape. Said ship must be submitted to the Board of Directors for a ruling as to its allowed rudder area.

Has anyone ever posed the question to the Board of Directors? Have they decided upon the matter? I know it is a somewhat popular ship and I would really appreciate someone who has/had one to weigh in and help me out with this. I'm in a semi-refit state right now and it would be well worth my time to drop some new larger rudders on there if it can be substantiated.

Thanks for all of the continuing help and happy battling!

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I have, in the case of the CAE Edgar Quinet (mislabelled on the shiplist as the Rousseau class). In that case, I had several drawings all from one source, which is normally not acceptable, except that my one source was the builder's drawings downloaded directed from the French Navy historical section. I would have to go back to the build thread or my email to see how much extra space Edgar gets. To satisfy the BOD, I had to measure exactly how much area it entails,etc. Wound up doing it several times to verify my results. The person who pressed me hardest for proof is a very good friend, my roommate for this coming Nats, actually. So it's not easy, nor should it be. The plans you present should be from impeccable sources, because they will be scrutinized. In my case, it was relatively easy, because the source is both totally impeccable, and totally open to the BOD members to get the plans themselves. Were I to be trying to get permission for HMS Tugboatisawesome to run larger rudders, I would expect to be asked to produce something like plans from the National Maritime Museum, and one other source close to that good, like maybe Miyukikai or AMB (Italian modelling group that makes good plans). George Goff plans don't count. Nothing against George. Plans from that Ebay seller that are actually copies of someone else's 1/350 plans don't count either. Full disclosure: I've built to both of those sources, so I don't think that they're horrible plans; just not good enough to meet the criteria.

If, after all that, you desire to go forward, I would gather my materials, and present them to the BOD members present at Nats. I'd probably email my Region's BOD men and maybe the rest of them as well so that they can be ready to scrutinize. And perhaps bring research material that they have, themselves.

I know I sound kind of negative, but I'm not, really :) Hope my commentary helped.