Wanted: South Dakota

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell and Trade' started by Powder Monkey, Jul 29, 2008.

1. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

I was at Ricks (BC) on Sunday, and he has a South Dakota hull on the shelf ready for sale, advantage no 4 week wait from BC. A really nice looking hull too.

2. Powder Monkey

Powder Monkey Active Member

was looking for a picture of there hull the web sight BC dosent have one is ther skegs on there hull ?

3. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

Yes, I am pretty positive there are. I've seen Bob Amend's SoDak which i am pretty sure is a BC hull, and it's got the skegs. I bought a Lion hull from BC and am very very pleased with it. I'd get the BC hull if there's one available Monk.

That being said, every one of Ralph's hulls Ive ever seen is top, top quality. You really can't go wrong with either one.

4. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

Yes it has the skegs, she is a great looking ship.

5. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Unrelated to BC's hull... who draws patterns by hand? I make 25 copies of the sections drawing, fold them in half and cut out the ribs that i want. No hand drawing involved...

6. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

What do you do if the section drawing don't match up with where you want the ribs? If you arent doing it on a computer you dont have much other choice.

7. Powder Monkey

[:0] Wow I just had one of those V8 commercials moments

8. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Chris, to be honest, I don't worry about it. As long as I'm not over my allowed solid space limit, then they go where they go. I'm more into it for fun than for building electromag force shields and railgun turrets.

Monk, I'm shocked you didn't think of it first :) Once you have them cut out, glue them on the wood and go!

9. Powder Monkey

How’s the saying go can't see the forest for the trees.

You ever have your sunglasses on your hat and spend 10 min looking for them yes that’s how I feel right now can you see me holding my hand in front of my forehead in the shape of an L yup that’s me du da da [:p]

10. sarges_heroes2003

sarges_heroes2003 Member

So what was the difference between BC and Ralf Coles hulls? Im about to buy and would like to know.

11. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

From reading a few posts from Bob Pottle, I would say the location. Canadian hulls are being a pain to get through the border due to customs. Get your hands on whatever you can. They are both great hulls for about the same price.

12. John Bruder

John Bruder Member

The BC SODAK hull is of incredible quality, has the skegs and a more accurate armor belt. The Ralph Cole hull has a bit wider skegs and a smoother armor belt. I built a SODAK with a Cole hull and was quite satisfied with it. I have seen several SODAKs made from BC hulls and they are great.

We also have an NC and when comparing the turning between our NC and SODAK they were almost the same. If you set up an NC right, it turns very close to what a SODAK does.

John B.

13. Gettysburg114th

Gettysburg114th Well-Known Member

I agree about the quality of the BC Alabama hull however, I filled in the armor belt to ease the sheeting process. Makes the ship slab sided, no need for a stringer. It took almost as long to sheet the armor area as it did to sheet the rest of the hull.