WARNING! Photobucket no longer free!

Discussion in 'General' started by Beaver, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Hey everybody, I just got this email today from Photobucket telling me without purchasing their Plus 500 plan ($400 a year) they will block all images that are posted on third party websites.
    This is insane! I will have to reupload more than half or the photos I've posted here, and probably many or you guys as well.
    There is a petition to reverse this, but I'm not sure what good it will do.
    https://www.change.org/p/photobucket-reverse-the-photobucket-third-party-rule

Anyway, wanted to let you all know about this injustice. According to Photobucket, your photos will still be visible till 2018 but after that just a placeholder telling you to upgrade you membership.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  2. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

well that's not good. I'll have to track down all my old archived Big Gun posts, find the original photos, and re-upload them. Grumble...

3. Beaver

Thankfully, Photobucket allows you to download all your photos from their website, so you won't have to track down the photos if you don't want to.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  4. Beaver

It's just a pity. With this, they practically destroy every DIY tutorial for just about everything, everywhere. Many of the photos here will be lost unless they're re uploaded.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  5. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

That is why I recommend uploading photos to rcwc directly

NickMyers likes this.
  6. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Ive always maintained phorobucket was the worst/ Kind of sad to have it proven so thoroughly by them though.

Don't panic about redoing your old threads yet. You should make sure you have a copy of your images but I will see what I can do about setting up an automagic transfer of old photobucket image embeds into forum attachments. Will follow up on this with outcomes later.

Beaver likes this.
  7. Beaver

I do now, but back before Nick changed servers you couldn't do that so I just used Photobucket.

8. thegeek

thegeek Well-Known Member

Private businesses do what they want. If you don't like it go somewhere else. They have to offset costs and that is one way.

absolutek likes this.
  9. Beaver

Carl, I would have no problem if they charged a reasonable price for 3rd party hosting, but $400 is totally outrageous. So many people that have used photobucket for all their image hosting will now lose all that work because they can't pay for that kind of yearly membership.
    This is unethical, and quite frankly, piracy.

10. thegeek

thegeek Well-Known Member

Write your congressman. I am sure he or she will have plenty of time to address this very pressing issue. At some point you DO have to take responsible steps at storing your own images.

absolutek likes this.
  11. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Hmm I still use photobucket and I have had no issues with them. Still posting my pics to that site and from that site to my account here and to my FB account.

12. Beaver

If you've had your account for a while Photobucket might not terminate your 3rd party hosted photos till the end of the year.
    Some of the photos here have been removed by Photobucket.
    photobucket.jpg

13. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

That is a ridiculous price . I don't blame you there.

14. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

I've started to rebuild some of my threads that have the PhotoBucket (PB) broken links in them. On some of the posts, I've noted that if you go in and edit them, the pics may show up (cached I guess). On those posts, I click on more options and use the Windows snip tool to grab the image, then I copy and paste it back into the post and then delete the PB link. I've tried to download my albums from PB but they appear to be blocking that option. Individual file downloads are still working though. I can't imagine PB will be in business much longer after this fiasco. Get your photo's while you can.

CURT likes this.
  15. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

I will finish my Montana build posts and then start removing my pics and cancel my subscription if this not changed .

16. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 Well-Known Member

curt, save the photos to your facebook :D
    Nikki

17. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

I noticed a lot of my early pics on the forum have that photobucket stamp on it. I tried to download my albums to my computer but when it tries it just says that something didn't go right ...try again. When I try again nothing happens. I am going to remove all of my albums from Photobucket and cancel my subscription with them. No way I am paying 400.00 just so I can post my own pics to 3rd party sites. I can do that for free through my phone.

18. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Yeah they finally got to me too. Fortunalty the Montana pics have been spared as they came direct from the computer though I did download them to Photobucket. What a bunch of sleazeballs to do this to their customers. Outrageous .

19. Beaver

Yup, Steve, me, and others have tried to download their photos from PB, but it doesn't work. Even though they say you can. :mad:

20. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member