Warship Walkthrough

Discussion in 'General' started by GregMcFadden, Mar 29, 2007.

1. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

All, I'd like to propose something... When I get my tirpitz finished & battled(I would do this with my karlsruhe if I had thought of it before taking it apart to salvage a few expensive components for the tirpitz)I am going to make a "walkthrough" that takes the ship apart from bow to stern and puts her back together, noting especially things that worked well and things that didn't or ideas/methods that were rejected as far as construction techniques. I think a few of these if properly detailed would greatly aid the newcomer (and give us old farts new ideas), especially if we had various writeups from the various different rulesets.

Anyways, I plan on doing this in the mid summer timeframe (after battling successfully and working out the bugs) and I would like to encourage anyone else so inclined to do so as well with ample pictures. I think their value for recruiting alone would be immense.

2. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

I think that sounds like a great idea! It would be nice to have some uptodate "how to" guides.

3. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

My goal is for this to be more than a how to. It will be more of a warship specific writeup on layout (how it was done) neat stuff one did, what one did that works and what doesn't. one reason that I am throwing this out here is that I try to do something novel (sometimes more than one thing) on every single ship I build, which makes them a bit more complicated sometimes than a beginner would want to tackle. (For example, I have moved to using brushless motors for propulsion due to the efficiency advantages, torque advantages, bearing replacement advantages (e.g. one can), lack of brushes to corrode away, etc. I would not recommend someone do that unless they need/want the space, current, etc advantages and have some aeroplate around)

4. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Interesting idea. I should do that with Spahkreuzer and Luigi Cadorna. Show what parts of each work well, and what parts (mostly not done by me, and in the process of being replaced) don't work well. I think you guys would be impressed at how dirt-simple they both are. I spent a very long time figuring out how to get them them as simple (pronounced: reliable) and I'm still finding new ways to simplify. One of my friends always says "the complexity of design is in the simplicity of form." If you understand what that means, then you've got half the WWCC beat already.