Warspite... the begining....

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by bugler, Oct 31, 2014.

1. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Hows the build coming?

2. bugler

bugler Member

20151024_184421.jpg 20151003_183701.jpg

Planking it slowly. I have some errors in the placement of ribs etc. I think this may end up a fine looking model boat but may not be strong enough for combat... Might be OK as a working model. I have been working on it with less enthusiasm...

Probably sounds bad to model experts but I am averaging out the errors with planks... I figure they will bend to naturally average out any sloppiness. I think the boat looks nice so far. Once I use a hull sealant method I think it will look OK. Good enough for our hobby, maybe not to a fine scale modeler.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
  3. bugler

bugler Member

Question on CA glue. Will it be OK wet? I found the acetone glue too slow. I tried a few glue types but found out. Super glue is CA glue and about $1 a tube at the local dollar store. A cheap building glue that works fast and well. But I have no clue what it will do wet. I am also wondering how to waterproof the boat hull. Been considering crazy ideas of grey duct tape, maybe some sort of plumbers compound.. or the fiberglass ideas. I am stretching the envelope a great deal... but having fun.

4. Reckless

Reckless Active Member

CA should be okay to bond, I've yet to have it come apart from water (that's on plastics/metal however) ... as for water proofing, I personally like west systems epoxy... but resin and mat would work fine

bugler likes this.
  5. bugler

bugler Member

Now that I have a cheap CA glue, I can re-enforce the hull. I may just plank the inside where the Balsa sheets go for permitting the entry of BB's. Still so much work to do! I am considering adding two more inside keel boards to give the hull more longitudinal strength. I calculated the boat weight at 20lbs or so... I am not confident that she'll hold together once that heavy.

6. NickMyers

Looks like your ribs are a bit varied in their uprightness... how are you going to get a deck to match up/connect?

If you want to use the hull for combat but don't think it has the strength in the manner which you've built it, and aren't opposed to a little more work... it might be worthwhile to plank/sheet the whole thing, smooth it out, fiberglass over it, and then knock out the inside and reinforce with another layer inside. Basically a one-off fiberglass hull.

CA/ sooper glue works ok to tack ribs and keel pieces together but tends to fare poorly over time. Epoxy or polyester resin work make for a better, stronger, less brittle bond, but they take longer to set up. You can seal the wood with spar varnish or epoxy or poly resin. I would at least fiberglass the bottom of your ship probably.

Warspite should be 28-30ish lbs at full load.

bugler and absolutek like this.
  7. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

I second what Nick said regarding CA...over time it gets brittle and cracks. Better off with Titebond III wood glue.

bugler and Beaver like this.
  8. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

I'll second what irnuke said regarding Titebond III, good stuff!

bugler likes this.
  9. bugler

bugler Member

Hmmm.. Yes. I think the plan now is to finish the frame of the hull I will probably shorten a few ribs that are super high then do the fiberglass skin over the Hull exterior. I can always cut the windows later I guess I am using pretty basic tools and it is my first build. I used a coping saw to cut the ribs and shape. Actually the hull shape is fairly complex for a first boat. this is a long term project at this point. Who knows one day with some better tools and a proper work bench I may give this another go.

Some of the ribs are deliberately low too for the lower gun deck... or as you call it a Casement? But some are defninitely crooked... like I said all done by hand... coping saw etc...

Regardless I am having fun.

NickMyers likes this.
  10. NickMyers

This is the most important thing

bugler likes this.
  11. Reckless

Reckless Active Member

with no fun... there is no point, and hey at this point your ahead of me :D

bugler likes this.
  12. bugler

bugler Member

Well... if I can just tear myself away from world of warships....Ha ha 20151025_212053.jpg

13. Reckless

Reckless Active Member

heh... I'm in there too a fair bit. i'm basically in actual building limbo for now ...

but if ya see RabidHamster in WoW gimme a yell and I'll screen for ya .... or if your on the other team.. I apologize in advance LOL