Water Channeling materials

Discussion in 'Construction' started by Powder Monkey, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Powder Monkey

Powder Monkey Active Member

OK I know there is stuff all over this forum on Water channeling got sick of searching so lets beat a dead horse

Looking for what every one is using for materials to make there water channeling lets get them all in one spot so dopes like me dont have to go searching [:D]

I used Touch n Foam Black (this is an polyurethane sealant) in the Boston looking for something a little better maybe

thanks
    Monk

2. Evil Joker

Evil Joker Member

um thinking of useing this http://www.owencarpet.com/rubber_carpet_pad.htm in my next ship for Water channeling or something like it

3. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

Im going to use the self-leveling concrete crack sealer on my spee

4. Evil Joker

Evil Joker Member

i the used self-leveling on my koing made me over wight. good for some ships but stays soft

5. Powder Monkey

one of our guys had trouble in his MA too with that stuff he removed it [V]

6. Evil Joker

Evil Joker Member

that carpet pad stuff is like a wetsuit.drop it in the bottom and cut as you go then resin 2-3 times. its light too

7. B24

B24 Member

For my water channelling I use foam blocks. I had a open hull (i.e. non-fiberglass) I would cut blocks and slide between ribs Very snug. then take a belt sander and sand down the hull. The blocks would take out space up to the 1" below W/L mark across the whole hull. then I used the West System and harden the hull. Then using a sander, knife, dremel, drill, grinder or what ever would work I carved out the inside to my specs. Then used the West to seal it all up. If I remember right you got one of those fiberglass hulls. You could use the foam block and build a "plug" so to speak. and insert it in the bottom using west to firmly attach it then carve to your specs and west again. That would take a little time sanding the plug and trying to make it fit tight. Air pockets could/may become exposed and could fill with water thus defeating the purpose. Maybe spay foam and then carve and west. But you still run the risk of air pockets with that. Balsa wood is a great bet. I use to get these balsa block bag which had about a 1/6 of a cubic foot of various blocks. But then you got to shape each block to fit. I've never did a fiberglass hull so I would be speculating but my first attempt would be with the spray foam. For several reasons. 1. I have control on where it's going 2. hull conforming 3. It aint too bad cutting out 4. Mistakes can be easy to correct (but not all) 5. If I screw the whole damn thing up it will come out it in a reasonable amount of time and effort . The down side 1. can be a major mess 2. Have to wait for the stuff to cure 3. can't put on too thick or the stuff won't cure.
    The final choice is up to you. See what others have to say before you go thru and put on in. Also keep in mind that you need to make room for everything so preplanning where stuff goes is vital and making allowances. My channelling incorporated a spot for my co2 tank to sit center of the hull. Lots to think about when doing this. Good luck
    Danny

8. Powder Monkey

thanks Dan

9. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

None of us have had weight issues using the concrete sealer, they must of put it in to thick. I have it in both my PE, and Kumano.

10. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

Im doing a very small layer, and i can always remove some.

11. Powder Monkey

This is it I know there are way more ideas out there lets go boy's let the cat out of the bag

12. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

I used concrete sealer.... and I put too much on. It took like 2 weeks to dry. But it is dry completely now. Good to go! :)

13. Powder Monkey

so your Boat is like stoned now [:p] all kidding aside Concrete sealer ?

14. radollar2000

radollar2000 Active Member

Concrete sealer is what I'm using, seems kinda heavy though so I might end up cutting some out.

15. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

It is a polyurathane rubber, dries grey in color, can be glued to, and is flexable.

16. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

Yeah, its just a rubber. I didn't notice the weight change... but then again, I drive battleships.

17. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

You have to be careful when buying the concrete patch stuff. There are quite a few different types, and some are heavier than others.
    Make sure you get the self-leveling type, and put it in thin. Perhaps 1/8" to 3/16" thick. That way it dries in a reasonable amount of time. You can probably pour it in seperate layers if you need it to be thick.
    David R. posted a photo of the type we use here in Ohio. It seemed really light to me.
    Mikey

18. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Yea I used the wrong type in PE. It was like a concrete paste,not very fluid at all. Difficult to level out too. It took many days to dry. It did work in providing excellent stability and for water channelling. Does anybody have any pix of brands to post here of the correct types?

19. froggyfrenchman

I think the photo was posted by David R.
    Either his P.E. build, or perhaps in Mike's Bearn build area.
    Mikey

20. froggyfrenchman

The photo is in David's "My new project V.U. thread. Page 2. last photo.
    In the warship builds area (I think).
    Mikey